Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Nag Champa AFTW Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 pm
When I was hitting replace before I upgraded to JJOS I was advised, from some people on this site, NOT to select the replace option as it will further damage my files making them corrupt. That is why I will not select the"replace" option any longer.

So, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but did you read the rest of my questions and have anything else to add to them or are you not someone I could ask for assistance in this matter? If not its cool, I just really need to get this issue resolved so I can continue with my chopping and workflow.

If you can't help me with the issue(s) could you possibly point me to someone who could?

Thanks again.
By Bugfix Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:04 am
Nag Champa AFTW wrote:before I upgraded to JJOS I was advised, from some people on this site, NOT to select the replace option as it will further damage my files making them corrupt.

ahh, and from that very moment you didn't replace any file? LOL I don't understand, back up your stuff, and try it.

Anyway I already told you, backup and format drives in JJOS, not computer. If you already have corrupted folders, well you can say them good bye.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 am
Unless there is user error here that we're not seeing, this is typical behaviour of drive that is corrupted and most likely about to die. With file system corruption you will find some folders act fine while others experience error messages, simply because those folders are stored in a corrupted area of the disk. All drives eventually die, be it mechanical or solid state.

That said, it isn't clear from your post whether this is affecting a single drive or multiple drives. Have you tried a new, virgin CF card, formatted within JJOS?

If it is affecting all disks, there are other issues this could be, for example if you connect to your computer via USB it could be your computer doing something (Macs especially if you ever forget to eject first). Or dodgy USB cable.

It could also be a memory problem - try taking out your memory expansions and re-test.

Also hold down ERASE and boot up while holding ERASE the whole time. Unlikely to fix it but you still should do it to reinitialise everything to rule out some of the obvious stuff.

Regarding the cursor/F6 issues, that could be tact switches needing a clean or replacement, or it could be an indication that something on the main board is playing up, or it could be OS corruption (the ERASE option above may fix that), or an unknown OS bug.

Please list full system specs (MPC and computer) and give a step by step of your exact workflow process, leave nothing out.
By Nag Champa AFTW Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 pm
@MPC-Tutor, I sure wish this to be user error! :Sigh:

My MPC 2500 was brand new when purchased (no previous owner) all most a full year ago.
I installed an 80 gig HDD with the upgraded 128MB of ram
(when I started off with the MPC, I was using the Akai OS and ran into the saving issues I spoke of earlier (which is the same issue I'm having now) - so I did format & re-format my HDD prior to switching to JJOS free)
I have a formatted AKAI 8GB Flash Card inserted at all times. It holds the old Akai OS as well as the JJ OS 3.10 (I guess I don't really need to have it inserted, I just never take it out).

I have my MPC connected to a brand new usb cable to my laptop (which I leave connected at all times)

My Laptop is a brand new Toshiba Satellite S70-A
Has an i7-4700MQ processor
12GB of RAM
64-bit OS
I have 2 stand alone HDDs for backing up files - both WD - but one is larger than the other - 1 500GB the other 1TB (the 1TB is recently purchased)

My workflow process is as follows:

I turn on my MPC first
It boots up letting me know its a MPC 2500 with the 128MB installed.
It then lets me know JJ OS version 3.10 is installed.

I then turn on my laptop and select my DAW

I select Full Level on my MPC
I select MODE and then LOAD (PAD 2)
I now have options from the installed HDD or the 8GB Flash Card
I cursor left to & see option Memory Card so I use the + button to select the HDD option
I then cursor right 2 times to get into my folders (with all my save files - chops- samples - loops - breaks - etc...)
I usually select either SAMPLES folder (if im needing to chop up a song) or LOOPS folder (if im putting together a song)
I'll scroll through either ones list and choose what I need and F6 it (Do IT) -
I then hit MODE and select PAD 6 (TRIM) and begin to chop what I need
Now that Ive completed my chops its time to save these new chops into one of my folders. Because of whats in my SAMPLE folder I ALWAYS save the new chops in my LOOPS folder - because they are chopped to be perfect loops
I hit MODE and select PAD 3 (SAVE) and choose the new chops/loops, NOT the original sample from my SAMPLE folder, and select F6 (DO IT) and they save to that folder I selected.

Up until a couple days ago this method has had no issues.
Now when I chop (brand new) samples for the SAMPLE folder and try to save the chops into my LOOPS folder it gives me the issue.

I always back up my files on my stand alone HDDs about once a or twice a week - depending on workflow. I always double check to make sure all of the HDDs show the exact same information in each folder as the MPC does. Its a tedious process but its worth it.

The only thing I could think of that would be the issue - is like you said - a failing HDD. I can save my new chops in every folder but the LOOPS folder. So some how this folder has become corrupt?

Ive since created a 2nd LOOPS folder titled LOOPS 2 and have been able to save any new chops I have been creating.

Im still able to select loops from the original LOOPS folder and use them or cut them up even further with no problems. So this is why im confused.

Thanks for all your help again, much appreciated!
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:07 pm
Nag Champa AFTW wrote:I never save to the CF Card

Come on man, I'm trying to help here. The point is can you save to the CF card, as in, try it now - do you get the same errors you are getting on the hard drive?

If all is fine on your CF card, then I would conclude that your hard drive is experiencing file system corruption, which may be fixed by reformatting it, but most likely delaying the inevitable end of life for your drive. Either way, back up everything asap.
By Nag Champa AFTW Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 pm
My fault, I was only answering your questions as how they were given.

I just created a folder on my CF card and was successful in saving the chop to the CF card. So yes, I can save to the card. But, its not the same folder as the one on the HDD. So is that a fair assessment if in fact the issue is with a folder/file on the HDD?

Basically, I'm able to create a new folder on the HDD & the CF and have no issues at all, when using this one particular folder on the HDD however is when the issue occurs. So will me being able to save a file on a new folder on the CF prove anything really valuable is my question?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 pm
File system corruption will initially only affect certain areas of the drive, so a failing drive the most likely conclusion IMO - you should not be getting any corrupt folders on a healthy disk.

It might just be a one-off, so you could try re-formatting the drive,or run it through a computer disk utility that might be able to repair the problem.

Whatever you do, backup regularly as drives can die without warning (although take this corrupt folder as the first warning sign).

If you want to wait and see - as it only affects that one folder, just stop using that folder. If it starts affecting other folders, take action. A new 80GB is not going to cost much at all. Or just use CF cards.
By TYPO Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 am
This is great advice from Tutor, although I would recommend finding and deleting the
corrupted file over having to go through a reformat of any drives.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:22 am
TYPO wrote:This is great advice from Tutor, although I would recommend finding and deleting the

If there is one corrupted file on the hard drive, I wouldn't trust the rest of the files, or possibly the drive itself, to be OK.
By TYPO Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 am
I stand with my post.Downloaded a file(CF) that gave me errors and had to single
out to find and delete.Same(CF)no reformatting all good.
By Nag Champa AFTW Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 am
Thank you MPC-Tutor for all your help and suggestions.

I'll probably just get another HDD and install it and see if that was the issue and continue to backup all my files as usual.

There was a question I had regarding the file character length that never really got addressed. What exactly should my character length be with the .WAV before and after the file name? Does the .WAV count as part of the 16 characters or no? Also is it even possible to go over the 16 character length and that be the cause of file corruption? - just a question/thought -

Thanks again man
By Nag Champa AFTW Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
TYPO wrote:This is great advice from Tutor, although I would recommend finding and deleting the

If there is one corrupted file on the hard drive, I wouldn't trust the rest of the files, or possibly the drive itself, to be OK.

So you're saying even if you got a new HDD - you wouldn't use the previous saved files from say the stand-alone HDD/Backup file as it too might be corrupted?
By SimonInAustralia Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:09 am
Nag Champa AFTW wrote:So you're saying even if you got a new HDD - you wouldn't use the previous saved files from say the stand-alone HDD/Backup file as it too might be corrupted?

I might still try to use the previous saved files, if they can be copied off the drive without any errors, but since the MPC doesn't have a disk filesystem check/repair function, I wouldn't trust the drive without formatting or replacing it.

My comment was more directed at Typo's suggestion to just delete the corrupted file that you know about, and keep using the drive as is.

Just personal preference really, none of us know what condition the drive, and the data on it, is actually in, whether there is any further corruption now, or whether there will be in the future.

Whatever you do, if you are not doing it already, you should be backing up important data to multiple places, so that if something like this happens, you don't lose anything important.