Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Teaks Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:55 pm
hi all, sorry if this has been posted about a million times but...

i've recently switched from akai os to JJ OS1 (v4.99), and every time i try to save anything (sample, program, project) in any of my sub folders on the MP it says file name already exists, when it definitely doesn't, and continues to say that even if i rename it.
If i choose Replace, sometimes when i come to load it again it says Wrong File! or similar.
Not sure if this started when i switched to JJ OS or just before, but either way it's annoygin!
Any suggestions?
By Bugfix Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:03 pm
Ah, not that much in the last year :lol:

You got to backup and format all your drives within MPC/JJOS, not computer.. and that's it.
By bumpee Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:29 pm
I have the exact same problem as Teaks and I already did what you said. When the MPC had no files I was able to save a sample but right after I put all my files back to it I tried to save a sample and I still get the same error.
Could this be about not having enough space to save more files? This couldn't be because I have an HDD installed and there's only 3GB been used. Is it possible that the mp is only able to support 3GB even though the HDD that I have installed is 80GB (it also shows on the screen)?
:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
By Bugfix Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 pm
Which OS version you got exactly? Mac or PC? as you had connected thru USB to computer, didn't you hit "repair disk" or something like that?
By bumpee Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:40 pm
I have the JJ OS1 version 5.00 and I have a Mac. Maybe I got it all wrong. What I did was to take all the files out of the mp and format the hard drive within the JJ OS. Do I have to do it through USB??
By m:t:c Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:15 pm
Sounds like a dodgy hard drive, but also make sure your file names are max 16 characters and unique.
By Nag Champa AFTW Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:25 pm
This is crazy, I am now having the same issues! I had the original AkiOS installed at first and started having this issue. So I read up that I should switch to JJOS to solve this problem. And for a great time it has. From about 7 or 8 months I've been glitch/error free and all of a sudden last night it started up again.

I have a folder I usually dump all of my un-chopped samples into and later when I'm ready to chop them for a song I retrieve them and chop'em up, then put then in a new folder for songs. Now I'm getting this stupid message again when I try to put the new chops into this other folder. However it does let me save the new chops to the previous folder with no problems :hmmm:

This time I know I have the correct free JJOS version installed. I try, to the best of my knowledge, to keep all character names less than 16 (ill have to double check somehow). So I was wondering if anyone hear has a solution or another work-around to this workflow problem?

Peace.
By Bugfix Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 pm
yeeep, but what exactly does it say on the screen? and have you formatted drives CF,HD within JJOS?
By Nag Champa AFTW Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 pm
On the screen it says "File Exists!! - File name exists!! - Replace or rename?"

And yes, I did format and re-format the Internal HDD as well as the CF when I did the upgrade to JJ about 7 to 8 months ago.

Like I said everything has been working lovely up till now after that initial issue I had. Also - I don't know if this helps but - just recently I noticed when navigating through folders and through my chops - using the cursor or the F6 button - the MPC seems to hiccup or stall a bit before finally recognizing my request. So I end up having to press the button or cursor a few more times before the command is acknowledged.

Thanks for all your help by the way!
By Bugfix Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:58 pm
Nag Champa AFTW wrote:On the screen it says "File Exists!! - File name exists!! - Replace or rename?"

I have a folder I usually dump all of my un-chopped samples into and later when I'm ready to chop them for a song I retrieve them and chop'em up

It's just like folder on computer.. you can't have 2 identical names. That's why IT asks.
If you are editing older file you choose replace, but if it's just another "KICK1" that you already have in folder you rename it. Two different sounds with the same name. Get it? Did you get a message "wrong file"? If not - this is not any issue.
By Nag Champa AFTW Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm
I don't think you get it. I have multiple folders - each with a different name and different purpose. The one folder I have is strictly for samples and another for loops and another for this and another for that. When I take a sample out of its folder I then begin to cut it into chops, which I then save under a different folder titled loops. The number at the end of the new save file is always the next number following the original save under the samples folder - there for, it is not a duplicate at all, it is a brand new chop and or file that is put in a separate folder from the sample folder. - Thus it will not have an impact on the previous sample.

And this method of mine has worked PERFECTLY up till now - no problems.

So I would say this is an issue.

Thank you.
By Bugfix Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 am
OK, for a test make a tottaly new folder and try to save there. Are you getting "file exists" message in empty folder? If you do - backup your stuff and format in MPC again.
Check does disk shows correct volume after formatting.
By Nag Champa AFTW Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:37 pm
Okay, Bugfix

I did what you suggested and I was able to create a new folder and take a sample from my existing Sample folder, chop it and then successfully save that new chop in a brand new folder with no error message.

I was also able to take that same chop I just created and place it successfully in a already existing folder with no error message.

I then took another sample from my Sample folder (which I know for certain I have not chopped yet) chopped it and tried to save this chop in an already existing folder and I get the error message again "File Exists!! - File name exists!! - Replace or rename?" :? - In return of this issue - I was able to save this exact chop to a different folder that already existed and it saved fine with no issues. So maybe there is something wrong with that particular folder :hmmm: ???

I have a question regarding the file length - I have many that go up to 16 characters. Now does that total of 16 characters include the .WAV or should it be 16 before you reach the .WAV? If the .WAV is included in the 16 characters then I've messed up. :Sigh:

I hope all this isn't too confusing.
Thanks again for all your help!
By Bugfix Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:54 pm
Nag Champa AFTW wrote:I get the error message again "File Exists!! - File name exists!! - Replace or rename?"

If you are sure there is no other sample with same name in that folder, what's stopping you from hitting "replace"?

Really, never had that problem with any JJOS for years, I had corrupted files with Akai in the past, where in empty, new folder it was saying "file exists"... wasn't able to save "sometimes" :vomit: