Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By tsutek Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:10 pm
EDIT (6.2.2014): version 0.1 is up:
http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/445/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I recently got an iPad and the Lemur software. With OSXL, it seems like a lot of the controls on the MPC can be controlled remotely, so I've started making a Lemur template for "augmenting" an MPC 1000/2500 running OSXL. So far I've managed to build a track mixer, drumpad mixer, track selector and track muting system for the first 16 channels / pads. Seems to be working pretty well!

So, is there anyone else here using Lemur with OSXL? Interested in developing the template further but still haven't learned enough lemur scripting to pull off all of my ideas. And if someone is interested in my template, let me know! I was thinking of sharing it as soon as I have everything working the way I want to.

Any tips on advanced Lemur users would be appreciated as well :)

Cheers
Last edited by tsutek on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
By Metatron72 Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 pm
I am not your guy but I do have Lemur. One guy I know who's quite handy with it unfortunately doesn't use MPC's.

But for JJ XL and the SysEx and mappable functions on the MPC4000 Lemur can do some wild stuff.

So I can't help really, the furthest I got was looking at what I could map in JJOS-XL and barely starting a template. And for that template I was just copying modules from other templates or the default stuff. I get the scripting in theory but need to put in a lot more work to use it on any level.

But if you'd post your templates or let me know if you uploaded them to the Liine site that would great. :-D
By tsutek Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:58 pm
Greetings Metatron,

I'll post the template as soon as I have reached a level where I feel it's far enough for casual use. I'll make a post here once it's online. Might take a while, but hope to get it there soon, life permitting "

Right now I don't know if it is possible to get a config file for the OSXL end of things (using a custom MIDI implementation to control as many params as possible) - You know anything about that?

I mean, is there a .PRJ I can save that contains the MIDI config for the MPC to accept my Lemur controls without setting the CC values manually? Otherwise one needs to input the CC and note mapping by hand, a bit of a chore :}

A 4K + Lemur sounds like a sweet combo!
By Metatron72 Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:23 am
Sounds good tsutek. :-D

I think on JJ XL you can save all the machines settings I have to double check that. I've good a really good interface and I I use the computer more with latency any about 1.5 ms over an MPC, essentially feeling the same as hardware.
By tsutek Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am
Update:

Finally started to learn the scripting on Lemur, added a hold function for note repeat (same as pressing shift + note repeat on the MPC) as well as low battery warning indicator (activates when iPad's battery drops below 10%). Still a long way to go - I was thinking of disabling the F1-F6 buttons on the UI until note repeat is engaged (a simple script-based tab switch on a container) to prevent F1-F6 key "accidents" as the F1-F6 buttons on the UI are glidable (for proper drumrolls)..

Any comments / suggestions for the operating mode pages? Now I have planned to use pages A - F, but perhaps it would be more convenient to use more containers so that I could combine some pages, like track level & track pan on a same page, switchable via a pad/button?

Was thinking that the Q-links are going to be visible in every page, as well as the pads (their function will change in every page tho) - perhaps the little vertical strip in the middle for changing other page-specific params is a little small? Not committed on the final size of the pads either, turns out some extra margin at the bottom of the template was required to make the Qlink sliders 1-2 go all the way down to "0" value (thx apple) :p

More to come as life allows...
By Metatron72 Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:41 pm
tsutek, you are far beyond anything I've done in Lemur ,which is next to nothing. I do OK with stuff like this in general, but I haven't put in the time to really got more comfortable with all the scripting stuff. I just kind of looked at Lemur so far only to the extent I know what the scripts and modules are capable of.

Looking good man. I hopefully will devote some serious time to Lemur and hopefully can off more collaborative stuff in the future. But like you alluded to, it's a really time consuming thing. I sometimes think that's 50 hours I could be making tracks/sounds...but obviously the payoff would be huge for both JJXL and the 4k. The 4k stuff would be even more daunting though as it would be a lot MIDI Sysex. Not my forte at all, and I have the Alesis dock that blocks all Sysex message (nice one Numark/In Music... :roll: ). So I'll have to roll wifi or use the CCK+MIDI to get deep into that if I even am able to.
By tsutek Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 am
Thanks for your encouragement! I've hit a brick wall with my lemur scripting learning, hoping to get back on track soon. Also, I'm conceptually unsure about a few things, like how to use the space in the middle in the best way for each page of the template..

You'd think that having the noterepeat module on the track mute page would be a good idea? Was thinking of use cases where one might want to do some fills/rolls before muting a track, so this would be easier if it was there? Trying to think how to get the most useful controls for every subpage available.. But getting a bit convoluted in the process..

I mean, the idea is that with this template, one can pretty much keep the MPC in the main window / sequence trigger window, and do muting / track leveling / panning with your other hand via the lemur on the fly, while hammerin em pads on the MPC.. But I am getting a bit greedy and would like to expand it even further, like for example right now I'm thinking of setting up sample editing/chopping controls on the MODE SELECT subpage, so that you can keep the other hand on the MPC's jogwheel and do all the zooming /F1-F6 etc with the template with the other, speeding up workflow.. Something like this?

Gotta change the colours a bit, too dark ATM.. I dunno, I am getting the feeling I am overthinking this again... Oh yeah, ignore the OVERDUB button, just put it there for now, will move it into another subpage (want to include it to give redundancy, usually I use a footswitch tho) ;)

Anyway, thanks again for your interest! more to come...
By tsutek Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:22 pm
Sorry, have been procrastinating over the holidays! Will try to get back on the horse ASAP. Guess it's better to put a v0.1 up and worry about perfection later? ;)

Just one thing I want to sort out before I finish the v0.1 - do you think it's better to have just 1 subpage for each mixer view? ie. to have both pan and level in the same view? Or is it ok just to have them as separate tabs as they are in my current "sketch"?

EDIT: One more thing - where can I find the "official" names of the mode pages in OSXL? Want to use them in the mode select view instead of coming up with unofficial ones :p