Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By frigidnoise Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:15 pm
I just got an MPC1000 a few weeks ago, (previously used Roland SP samplers but I really liked the multiple assignable outputs) and made my way mostly through the manual. I am thinking of getting rid of it simply because you cannot record a sample meant to be looped and play it back AS A LOOP unless you hold your finger on the pad the whole time? This is one of the basic functions I need to do with a sampler and all the Roland samplers can do this easily with one button. I can't use the sequencing feature to loop it because the sample is a certain length (in seconds) and its impossible to set the length of a sequence to a particular time. Also doing that would prevent me from layering loops of different lengths and would probably make the MPC useless to me anyway. Oh and many of my loops have no BPM.

What is the simplest form of JJOS that can do this? When I looked at the comparison chart it was a little confusing which features would make this possible but it seemed as if I'd maybe need to get JJOSXL which is fine but since there doesn't seem to be a manual for that one written by a native english speaker, I'm not sure I can use it. The official JJOS manuals are completely unreadable to me.

Any ideas? I want to make the MPC work for me but I'm getting closer to reclaiming my SP555 everyday. Is the feature of hitting a pad and having the sample play over and over until I tell it to stop such too much to ask?
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:56 pm
frigidnoise wrote:Is the feature of hitting a pad and having the sample play over and over until I tell it to stop such too much to ask?

No it's not to much to ask and yes it is possible and can be achieved by purchasing JJOS2XL. To get the sample to loop and play over by selecting and using the loop and hold function in the AMP page. Here's a quick tutorial style video that shows you how to do it. Hope this helps you out.

By Bugfix Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:17 am
yes, os2xl (highly) recommended :lol:

you can makel infinite loops on any os like this:
in TRIM you turn loop on, select direction, type of looping
in PROGRAM you set a pad to "note on"!!!, opposed to "one shot"

now hold this pad and press one of those buttons twice (2x) preferably fast : next sequence, or track mute

let go pad.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:17 pm
Thanks for sharing that cool tip Bugfix, I didn't realise there was another method for looping in the other JJOS. :worthy:
By frigidnoise Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 pm
So that weird little trick above, worked! It may not be super useful for using the MPC because you can't really do that in a sequence (or can you?) but I also discovered that setting the bars and the BPM in a sequence to match the length of the loop length actually isn't difficult even when the loop has no real BPM.

I created a sequence with 8 bars and a BPM of 30 just to be super sure the sample would fit. (It's about 6 seconds long). Then I recorded a sequence where the sample would be triggered at the start. I listened to it and noticed that the sample runs out less than halfway through the sequence so I decreased the bars to 4, effectively chopping off a lot of silence at the end. Probably could have set it to 3 bars but thought I'd stick with 4 to stick to a familiar time signature. Then just increased the BPM until the sample was cut off before it finished, noted that as maximum tempo and adjusted the BPM back and forth, 10 BPM at a time, then 1, then .1 until I found the .1 that had a silence or skipping and .1 more was exactly the length I needed. It's now 4 bars, 52.1 BPM and I can create a sequence around that. Problem solved.
By conrad Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 am
I normally use the timestretch function to find the tempo. Although I try to guess it as much as possible first just for kicks.

I have and do use that technique mentioned above as well.