Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By tofferl Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 pm
Hello guys, sorry if this question is to much of a newbie question but I didn't find anything really answering my question so far.

I have the opportunity to get ahold of a MPC 1000 running JJOS. Now I want to use it as a sampler of course but also as a hub for other gear. Now I found some information on the pattern editor in JJOS, but the workflow using the wheel and the arrow keys seems pretty slow.

So is there a way to programm patterns like one does on a classic drum machine? Say I choose my instrument and pads 1 to 16 each represent a beat? So for a 4 to the floor kickdrum I would press pads 1, 5, 9, 13. Then choose the next instrument and assing the beats via the pads etc.?
Thank you
By ~dj~ Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:32 pm
No, it doesn't do it the way you want it "out of the box", but believe me, the pattern feature of jjos is really strong, tons and tons of possibiltiies. You just "program" them the way want. Ex. : record 4 on the floor in sequence, convert sequence to pattern, set disired pad to pattern mode, select recorded/converted pattern, hit it!

Just record the divisions and rhythm pattern you want/need once and you can always use them on any instrument you like...monophon or polyphon...basically anything you can record in the sequencer!

MPC Live & MPC X: firing clips since 2017 MPC with jjos: firing pattern since.....??..dont remember, years ago! :-D

If I where you, I would get that 1000...if you like Midi and rubber pads for making music you wont regret...arrows and wheel is part of the game, you can get really fast at it if you put in some effort...you can also use the software "mpc Mouse" by JJ, but this would need a running PC involved in your system....not shure about that.

Hope it helped
By conrad Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm
yeah loop edit mode is great, i use it all the time to start off with.

I find it a bit restrictive if I want human timing, it's easier to play that in. but it's great to lay some hats down or a kick and a snare down to use a metronome.

quite handy too when chopping samples to lay them down in the grid mode especially if they are micro chopped ( (and variable length) and bit a tricky to play by hand,

really depends on what your doing, like everything right tool for the job etc.