Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By John Vandenberghe Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:20 pm
Hi
Are there any resources out there to make this happen? Where I could play the pads in midi mode to play synths is scale? Kinda like the launchpad pro?

Thx
By allank Mon May 01, 2017 12:59 am
You would need to make some program mappings to do this..
I've been thinking about this.. but just haven't got around to it.

Create a program, change the note assigned to each pad as per the scale you want..
Do them all in C, then if you transpose you can change the key..
By John Vandenberghe Mon May 01, 2017 9:28 am
allank wrote:You would need to make some program mappings to do this..
I've been thinking about this.. but just haven't got around to it.

Create a program, change the note assigned to each pad as per the scale you want..
Do them all in C, then if you transpose you can change the key..

Ok thx. I've been thinking about doing some as well. I didn't know you could transpose, where do I find that?
Thx
By allank Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 am
I might have had a brain fart on the transpose bit.. I'm at work now. .but will check this weekend.
By bliprock Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:34 am
I set pads to chords of scale. In jjos XL has also its own chord bank

So therefore you can make chords of one note and set scales in chord banks.
By HasanInsane Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:14 am
John Vandenberghe wrote:Ah cool!
Thx, I think I am decifering it in the jjosxl manual!
Will try it out for sure.

John Vandenberghe wrote:Ah cool!
Thx, I think I am decifering it in the jjosxl manual!
Will try it out for sure.

A few years ago, I copped a bunch of sample programs with maps to switch scale key and mode (maj, min, blues, etc.) in real time for the MPC. Many producers are triggering samples ITB, whereas others trigger samples from external sources or both. I always resample my drums, so it makes sense for me to sequence a keyboard.

The JJos default MiDi note is 36 on the A01 pad, which is C2 (Roland) and C1(Akai). Lowest Note for JJos is MiDi note 0 or C-2. The scale maps begin a couple octave lower than the default program midi note and because the pads are programmed to play sequential notes, I can access higher registers of the keyboard (default is MiDi note 99).

I use a Fantom G keyboard + XV5080 rack loaded with sample patches I create and trigger the synths with the MPC in either chromatic mode or scale mode. The external gear does not see any difference....a note is a note. It's crazy how it works when the program is switched, the MiDi out is transposed but the sequence data is left alone. This means it works in real time as fast as I can switch the program.

There are some translation issues switching from default to custom maps, but once I find the key I want to use, I just select the appropriate scale and record the sequence. !6 level note variation is not translated to MiDi out, nor to the MiDi file, so I tend not to use 16 levels for sequencing notes.

With scale programs, I get two octaves of scale notes per 16 pad bank. Essentially, the same intervals of notes going up the keyboard/pad bank. There is overlap between octaves ( 1 or 3 pads depending upon scale type), but it's usually not a problem.

I don't play keys, but with the right MiDi setup, I can fake it. I mainly make melodies in key/scale/tune and switch the MiDi channel to a drum patch. I use multisample drum patches so I can transpose my kits in any key I choose.