Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By ancaja123 Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 pm
I just recently purchased an Alesis MMT-8 and have been enjoying using that as my main Midi sequencer, it has certain features that make it a perfect MIDI sketchpad for me compared to the MPC1000. However, I still want to program all my drums with my MPC. Also, the Alesis doesn't have swing, and I would like to also be able to bounce MIDI into my MPC so I can then add swing. I've managed to do all of this, however there is still some cable switching to be done, and I occasionally will have issues with the Alesis somehow triggering drums on the MPC (not desired). I am also sometimes getting MIDI feedback loops as well (probably due to the Alesis somehow)....Right now my setup goes like this:

MMT-8 midi out-->MPC1000 midi in A-->MPC1000 midi out B-->Akai AX-60 in-->Akai AX-60 thru-->(more misc. synths/samplers)-->Ensoniq Mirage midi in-->Mirage midi out-->Alesis midi in

So I have a midi Handshake goin on, with the Mirage acting as my Master keyboard (I have it set to Local Off).

I have the MPC set to multitimbral mode, and Soft Thru: Omni-B. I start all of my drum sequences on Track 17 because I am under the impression Tracks 1-16 automatically record MIDI notes in multitimbral mode. I'm not sure how the Alesis could be triggering samples on my MPC still. I basically want to use my MPC as a drum machine that responds to Midi clock as well as passing note data thru to my synths. Has anyone used another sequencer as a master and the MPC as a slave that can give me advice?

fyi I have the MPC (slaved) after the Alesis in the chain because I want to be able to bounce midi from the Alesis into the MPC so I can then add swing, easier editing, etc. and because I like my drums to follow the tempo of my midi and not the other way around.