Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By markincork Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:11 pm
My problem is jog wheel won't turn in anticlockwise direction.

If I go back to version 3.16 I'm able to change the data wheel type back to Type 1 (using the arrows) and the wheel functions perfectly in both directions as expected.

When I'm using the latest version of JJOS (v2.17 OS3) I'm not able to change the data wheel type because it won't turn anticlockwise which is necessary.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea how I can change the wheel type in the latest version of JJOS if I can't turn the wheel?

Thanks in advance.
By markincork Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:53 pm
I spent some more time at this and have come to the following conclusion

If I'm using OS2 I can change the wheel type using the arrows and the wheel works perfectly

However if I'm using OS3 I can only change the wheel type by turning the wheel which doesn't work

At the moment I've switched back to OS2 but having spent a good bit of time getting used to OS3 it's a pain so any ideas how to go about resolving this would great. I'm using one of the older blue MPC1000's
By richie Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:37 pm
I strongly suggest you do the upgrade. The new wheel is a huge difference to the workflow as it is sturdy, one click is one click, etc. It will also resolve the issues you're having as it is fully compatible with every OS revision.

If you have some experience with soldering, it only requires 3 small wires and a small modification to the board (cutting some traces with a razor). Check the jog wheel upgrade thread.
By richie Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:56 pm
It's also cheap to do. You're looking about $10 for the actual jog wheel. It actually feels solid as it is the same design as the MPC 2000XL one, just with a shorter stem.
By TYPO Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm
markincork wrote:I spent some more time at this and have come to the following conclusion

If I'm using OS2 I can change the wheel type using the arrows and the wheel works perfectly

However if I'm using OS3 I can only change the wheel type by turning the wheel which doesn't work

At the moment I've switched back to OS2 but having spent a good bit of time getting used to OS3 it's a pain so any ideas how to go about resolving this would great. I'm using one of the older blue MPC1000's

try setting the jog wheel to a midi controller in OS3 using http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/128xl/button.htm and switch the wheel setting using a midi controller.
By markincork Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:23 pm
I thought that might be possible but in a panic nothing jumped out at me from that midi list that said "make wheel better" :)

Attached midi controller and set one key to "Data+" and another to "Data-" went back to "Wheel:New type" and could switch between "New Type" and "Old Type" and I'm back in business. Thanks a million TYPO.

richie, I did order 2 encoders today for the princely sum on 47 cent each from

http://ie.farnell.com/alps/ec12e24204a2 ... dp/2065054

I've a guy lined up in work to do the soldering but for the time being I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark
By markincork Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 pm
I accidentally mangaged to recreate the situation that necessitated the reinstallation of JJOS a few weeks back.

After loading in a few single wave cycles and assigning three to a pad, it knocks out the automatic generation of Program Names. So instead of starting at Program 1 it was defaulting to Program 6 instead. Next boot Program 7. Not a biggie but annoying. As I said rebooting doesn't work so I decided on a reinstall to get back to a fresh start. No idea what caused it, but on the off chance it happens to someone else I posted it here.
By softpunch Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:07 pm
I also have the "old type" data wheel issue. I'm confused, because it seems to be documented in the manual, but no solution is provided.

When I install OS2XL 3.73, the data wheel defaults to "New Type," and it doesn't work when I turn it counter clockwise. With older OS2XL versions, and with free JJOS, I could use the arrow buttons to change the wheel type. But in the new version, I can't change "New Type" to "Old Type," when turning the data wheel counterclockwise doesn't work.

I ended up assigning a MIDI note to the data wheel, and using that to change the setting to Old Type. But that's a strange hack, when it's such an easy fix. If turning the data wheel clockwise could change the setting to "Old Type," it wouldn't be a problem.