Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By pixie42 Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 pm
Hi everyone.
I was wondering how many of the faithful JJOS users are going to switch to the live.
Speaking for myself, I'm not too sure about it, and definitely don't like touch screen interface. But how about the live's workflow compared to JJOS' ? It could be more or less a computer in disguise but all the bells and whistles are now quite tempting. I have watched tons of videos on youtube and I'm still confused.

Could the MPC live finally be what JJOS MPC were supposed to be without hardware limitation ?
I'm using the mpc2500 essentially as a drum machine and a powerful sequencer for my synths. I understand beat makers and producers might have a different opinion on that matter.

Are you going to stick to JJos ? and why ?
On the contrary, do you consider selling your precious 1000/2500 ? (I know I won't)
By Pimp_Mantle Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm
Am definitely consider switching later maybe but i need to try it out first. For me the sound and the analog converters is important, am not lookin for cleaner and brighter sound and exporting tracks digitally is out of the question. I recently went from Ren back to 2500 and i couldnt be more happier. I sold my first one but i always keep this one even if i get the Live in future.
By nicokas Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 am
I think to stay on JJOS2XL for now. I have the impression that LIVE doesn't offer a fundamental revolution compared to JJOS. Except the real time timetretch, I do not find that this machine is a big step forward, just an assortment of flashy gadgets (illuminated buttons, touch screen ....).

In terms of sound, what I heard, I have the impression that this MPC LIVE produces very cold and artificials sounds. But I wonder if the aesthetics of the machine does not subconsciously push the user to move towards this type of sound.

I also think that in the years to come the sound processing algorithms will evolve enormously (for example to extract an instrument from a mixed song) ... and this machine will seem more outdated than we imagine today . I think I will have to wait for a new generation of MPC to convince me to leave JJOS.
By Samp Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 am
nicokas wrote:I think I will have to wait for a new generation of MPC to convince me to leave JJOS.

You're right. For example an MPC 1000 which would have an infinite polyphony. Maybe one day :)
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:58 pm
To be honest JJOS on my 1000 and 2500 does all I need it to do for beat making as far as sampling, chopping and constructing a beat so I won't be switching to the X or live anytime before the next millennium. Would rather spend the money that the X or live costs on upgrading my little studio maybe building a dedicated DAW PC as my currently rig has seen better days.
By pixie42 Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 pm
I finally pulled the trigger. The mpx live now sits happily beside my synths.
The workflow has changed a bit, but it's still an MPC, I swear.
The live sounds really good, It delivers some punch , thanks to its great converters.
On the negative side, I think the live lacks some switches and dedicated functions, obviously iit relies too heavily on the touchscreen. Navigating between bars is a real PITA.
I guess the X fares better on this matter.
The controller mode is a good surprise, I don't use it, but it's nice to know you can fire up some vst if needed.
Overall I don't regret changing to the live. There are too many improvements to ignore this new MPC.
The piano roll is dope. Accessing all your samples on the internal HD is way faster than before. You can scroll through pages and preview your sample with a flick of the finger. You are not limited to a small string of characters when naming your file.
I haven't sold my 1000 and 2500. Those, now legacy, MPCs are too valuable, and still are great tools. For now they are on storage.