Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By graintable Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 am
I'm putting together a live set on a 1K running OS 3. Each sequence has tracks with program change numbers saved for 3 different midi output channels/external devices. However, on channel (3A) it doesn't always send the program change information. If I go to that track and change the program change with the data wheel it recognizes it right away, but doesn't switch to the saved program change when I change sequences? It seems like this is happening somewhat randomly. Some sequences send the program change and others don't. I had created a sequence yesterday that was sending the program change information when I selected the sequence and today it wouldn't. Is this user error? A bug? Any insight would be great, thanks y'all!
By graintable Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06 am
Thanks Bugfix!

Already checked the steps, midi monitor, cables, etc.

I simplified the setup down to just the midi device I was having trouble with, a Roland JU-06 module.

MPC1K --midi A out--> JU-O6 midi in

For some reason, the JU-06 doesn't like the when the MPC1K sends more than one program change (when I change sequences).

ex.
Sequence 1: Track 1 sends Program Change 1 on Midi Channel 1, Track 2 sends Program Change 1 on Midi Channel 2.

Sequence 2: Track 1 sends Program Change 2 on Midi Channel 1, Track 2 sends Program Change 2 on Midi Channel 2

What's odd is that it only behaves like this with program changes from the MPC1K on OS3? (haven't tested on OS2XL yet). The JU-06 can handle the multiple program changes just fine with the example above out of an MPC2KXL, Elektron Octatrack, Ableton, etc.

Is it the order the program changes are being transmitted? Are there some weird sysex messages being sent? Maybe it's just something wonky about the JU-06's midi? Anyway, the only surefire work around I've discovered is isolating the JU-06 on Midi B and only using the midi B port for the JU-06. I guess I'm going into the nether regions here, but if this makes sense to anybody, let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!
By Bugfix Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am
Anyway, the only surefire work around I've discovered is isolating the JU-06 on Midi B and only using the midi B port for the JU-06.the JU-06.

yup, this is surely worth to check and good solution :)

you could also try to change positions of PC slightly (1,2,3 ticks)... or add repeats of PC
im on os2xl and smth like that is possibe to occur when setting up new routing, but usually is other device MIDI managing flaws.