Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By ZeusTheElevated Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:56 am
Just copped a used 2500 from mpcstuff that came with JJOS 3. Right away I noticed that the jog wheel wasn't nearly as responsive as it was back on my 1k -not all "clicks" are registered by the machine. I checked to make sure it was on the proper "jog wheel" setting (1 not 2), but I'm still having issues. MPCstuff says that the issue might be due to the operating system, but I'm not necessarily buying that - are there any documented issues with the 2500 and JJ OS in terms of the jog wheel? I'm super OCD about my gear, and don't think I'll be able to use the unit in its current state, the jog wheel issue just bugs me far too much when scrolling through samples/making edits to my chops.

Thanks in advance guys!
By richie Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 am
Did you check to see what actual jog wheel version you have in your MPC 2500?
By richie Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 am
There are 2 versions of the jogwheel that the 2500 has, which one do you have?
By saltmcgault Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 pm
ZeusTheElevated wrote:Just copped a used 2500 from mpcstuff that came with JJOS 3. Right away I noticed that the jog wheel wasn't nearly as responsive as it was back on my 1k -not all "clicks" are registered by the machine. I checked to make sure it was on the proper "jog wheel" setting (1 not 2), but I'm still having issues. MPCstuff says that the issue might be due to the operating system, but I'm not necessarily buying that - are there any documented issues with the 2500 and JJ OS in terms of the jog wheel? I'm super OCD about my gear, and don't think I'll be able to use the unit in its current state, the jog wheel issue just bugs me far too much when scrolling through samples/making edits to my chops.

Thanks in advance guys!

I had the same problem. It's very annoying! My mode button would only work 1 out of 5 times pressing it as well so i ended up buying and replacing the PCB board. I bought the 2500 brand new in 2007 so it was time to change it out. the Jog wheel dont even click it spins smoothly and i havent had any problems since "knock on wood" knowing my luck i just **** myself.
By richie Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 pm
I do not know why this is such a hard thing for some of you to clarify.

There are 2 encoder types that have been shipped with MPC 2500's:

and

Now - If you happen to have the first 1 shipped on earlier revisions, you can perform modifications to the control board to install the more recent type. However, if you're not confident or handy with simple soldering, then you can purchase a newly manufactured control board from mpc-stuff with the new alps rotary encoder installed. It is the same encoder used on the 2000XL from what I can recall.
By Sharris Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 pm
Below is a picture of the smooth encoder on the volume pcd board (from MPC stuff). Looks a lot like what Richie posted, which Zeus the OP already stated he didn't have. Unless there are actually 3 encoders.......

MPC stuff also sells a replacement for the original encoder ($35), just the encoder w/o the board. I have the original encoder & it works fine (might have been replaced, I bought it used, but it's the same encoder).

Hopefully you can return it if it bothers you that much. Maybe reinstall the OS, even if it doesn't work, just so you can inform MPCstuff, you reinstalled it & it didn't fix the issue........then see if they will fix it for you or return it.

I'll admit I don't pay attention to every click of my jog wheel (& I def have a clicky one), but it has always seemed fine to me & I came from a MPC 1000 as well. So it sounds like something is wrong with yours.