Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By converter Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm
MPC1000 (JJOS2XL)

I have a mopho synth with keyboard :
mopho OUT --->IN 1 MPC
mopho IN<-----OUT A MPC (channel A1)

And a Virus TI2 desktop:
TI2 OUT ---->IN 2 MPC
TI2 IN <----- OUT B MPC (channel B4)

So I want to record arpeggio notes from the TI2 on a MPC MIDI track. I use the mopho keyboard to play the Virus.
When I press the mopho kbd I get the TI2 to play and record MIDI notes from a typical TI2 patch. BUT when I try to record arpeggio notes from a TI2 patch with arpeggio, it just doesn't work !!! I get 3-4 notes from the arpeggio then it stops. I suspect a MIDI loop but I am not sure.

How can I make this work ???
Last edited by converter on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By converter Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:49 pm
Bugfix wrote:in this setting: soft thru to "OMNI A"

Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't work either: when I set to OMNI A and use a MIDI track, and play the MOPHO kbd, I hear the MOPHO synth, but not the TI2.

My "normal" setting for SOFT THRU is "AS TRACK", then I can use the MOPHO kbd as a MIDI controller for all my synths connected to the MPC (including the MOPHO itself and the TI2). I just use a separate channel for each synth, and set it on the output MIDI field on the main screen.

Up until a couple weeks ago my TI2 OUT was not connected to the MPC IN 2.
This worked great, I could play the TI2 arpeggios without any problem. The only drawback is that on a MIDI track all I could record are the arpeggio "seed" notes, not the actual arpeggio notes, and so I tried to record these arpeggio notes by connecting the TI2 OUT to the MPC IN, and that's when everything went to sh*t ....
:?
By Wormhelmet Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 pm
You should be looking in your Virus manual. It’s an on/off option for arp note send on parameters on the Virus. Default is off. Turn it on so it sends arp notes via midi

In the Configuration Reference section of Virus manual

Edit Config will get you to the parameter

The 3-4 notes you were getting previously were most likely the raw notes you hit on the keyboard.

Turn feature on to send arp notes and all arp note output is sent out midi

Virus isn’t the only synth also where you have to actually enable arp note sending in the menu. I think my Blofeld is also like this. Possibly Nord Lead 2X also. I’ll have to check
By converter Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:11 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:You should be looking in your Virus manual. It’s an on/off option for arp note send on parameters on the Virus. Default is off. Turn it on so it sends arp notes via midi
In the Configuration Reference section of Virus manual
Edit Config will get you to the parameter
The 3-4 notes you were getting previously were most likely the raw notes you hit on the keyboard.
Turn feature on to send arp notes and all arp note output is sent out midi

Thanks, but from the beginning I have set the TI2 ARP NOTE SEND parameter to "ON". So this isn't the problem. I believe the problem is at the MPC1000 level. Either a configuration mismatch, a bug, or a wrong setting on my part.

The thing is in order to record arpeggio notes one has to send "seed" notes (you call them "raw"). My interpretation is that the MPC send them to the TI2 which generates the arpeggio notes and send them to the MPC1000, which immediately send them back to the TI2. Then the TI2 arpeggiator tries to generates an arpeggio from an arpeggio, and so forth ... and soon of course the TI2 arpeggiator processor trips and stops. So far I can't figure out how to prevent this from happening.
:hmmm:
By Wormhelmet Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:28 pm
Not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish trying to record arp notes though. Do you plan on recording arp notes so you can assign it to another synth? I use an mv8800 and use a Novation KS4 for my master synth. When I change tracks on the mv8800 to record notes for another synth, it changes focus to play the synth that is set to the tracks midi channel. It doesn’t need arp notes recorded because the preset used has arp on the Virus. Unless I want those notes to use for a different synth, there isn’t a need to record them.

If I wanted to record the arp notes, I would connect my KS4 to Virus in and out from Virus with arp note send on into the mv8800 to record on a track, then put my KS4 back to master and make sure the track with recorded arp notes was set to the midi channel of the new synth I wanted that arp on. The new synth receiving the recorded arp notes would not have arp enabled on the patch that it was set to play because it would double the attempts to play notes and original arp note track would be lost in a mess of notes as it tried to arp the arp notes. Possibly sounding like the behavior you are describing.

My KS4 also has nice arp abilities. If I was to record the arp notes from my KS4 in a track assigned to play on a Virus patch, the Virus patch would have to have its arp off.

I generally don’t run midi into my mv8800 except for the KS4 out to MV in to use to play all the other synths hooked up to my MV. If I am looking to record parameter changes like Live knob movements on the synth as it is playing its track assigned to it, then I might send the midi in from that particular synth to record into the track, but I wouldn’t send a recorded arp passage into a synth with a patch that had arp on. I would turn arp off and let the track feed it notes while I tweaked the knobs for recording parameter changes.

Sorry if this isn’t any help. Trying to understand more

I suppose you could leave everything hooked up as is and use a blank track to record the Virus note out, but would have to turn off the arp on the patch for playback after recording. Unless you think that is exactly what is causing your midi feedback loop. In which case it might make more sense to just use mopho to Virus and Virus to in on MPC, record your arp notes and then change up again to have MPC trigger Virus with arp off on the Virus patch.

I use the arp on the Virus a good deal but always just root note recording so the Virus arp can do it’s thing with the root notes

It seems like you would have to have some option to bypass recording mopho midi in and just pass the mopho midi info to the Virus so it could record the midi in from the Virus and the arp note data without adding mopho midi output data to the track

If none of this is useful, I’ll just quietly back out of this thread....
By converter Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish trying to record arp notes though. Do you plan on recording arp notes so you can assign it to another synth? I use an mv8800 and use a Novation KS4 for my master synth. When I change tracks on the mv8800 to record notes for another synth, it changes focus to play the synth that is set to the tracks midi channel. It doesn’t need arp notes recorded because the preset used has arp on the Virus. Unless I want those notes to use for a different synth, there isn’t a need to record them.

If I wanted to record the arp notes, I would connect my KS4 to Virus in and out from Virus with arp note send on into the mv8800 to record on a track, then put my KS4 back to master and make sure the track with recorded arp notes was set to the midi channel of the new synth I wanted that arp on. The new synth receiving the recorded arp notes would not have arp enabled on the patch that it was set to play because it would double the attempts to play notes and original arp note track would be lost in a mess of notes as it tried to arp the arp notes. Possibly sounding like the behavior you are describing.

My KS4 also has nice arp abilities. If I was to record the arp notes from my KS4 in a track assigned to play on a Virus patch, the Virus patch would have to have its arp off.

I generally don’t run midi into my mv8800 except for the KS4 out to MV in to use to play all the other synths hooked up to my MV. If I am looking to record parameter changes like Live knob movements on the synth as it is playing its track assigned to it, then I might send the midi in from that particular synth to record into the track, but I wouldn’t send a recorded arp passage into a synth with a patch that had arp on. I would turn arp off and let the track feed it notes while I tweaked the knobs for recording parameter changes.

Sorry if this isn’t any help. Trying to understand more

I suppose you could leave everything hooked up as is and use a blank track to record the Virus note out, but would have to turn off the arp on the patch for playback after recording. Unless you think that is exactly what is causing your midi feedback loop. In which case it might make more sense to just use mopho to Virus and Virus to in on MPC, record your arp notes and then change up again to have MPC trigger Virus with arp off on the Virus patch.

I use the arp on the Virus a good deal but always just root note recording so the Virus arp can do it’s thing with the root notes

Yes, I am trying to record the actual TI2 arpeggio notes, so that not only I could play them with another synth, but I could also play them with another TI2 preset or patch (which doesn't have a native arpeggio or if it does I turn the arpeggio OFF). Lots more flexibility and creative space.

The MPC IN is needed to get the arpeggio recorded, but what it does also is send instantly what it records to the MPC OUT ( meaning the TI2 IN).

Even if I set the "Output MIDI field" to "OFF" (lower right), it must still sends some junk data to the TI2, because the TI2 arpeggiator gets knocked out..

I did try another method:
MIDI track 1 contains the "seed" notes, with MIDI send set on channel of the TI2
MIDI track 2 is empty, with MIDI send "OFF"

With track 2 being active, I would set the MPC to record: the seed notes would be sent to the TI2, and arpeggio received/recorded on track 2.

This way it sort of works: arpeggio notes are recorded on track 2. But upon playing them on the TI2 (with arpeggio OFF), the timing is all messed up.
By Wormhelmet Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:02 pm
Stumped at this point as I don’t have an MPC to try and duplicate. Good luck though. Maybe last ditch go straight from mopho to virus in and out to track just to get the notes recorded.

If you can send midi clock from MPC to mopho while doing the mopho to Virus and Virus to MPC, then you’ll have the timing at least synced
By converter Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:05 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Stumped at this point as I don’t have an MPC to try and duplicate. Good luck though. Maybe last ditch go straight from mopho to virus in and out to track just to get the notes recorded.

If you can send midi clock from MPC to mopho while doing the mopho to Virus and Virus to MPC, then you’ll have the timing at least synced

Going straight MOPHO --> TI2--->MPC might work, provided that there is no link TI2 <---MPC, but that would be a last resort thing: connecting/disconnecting MIDI cables everytime is no joy.
Too bad too because many of the TI2 arpeggios are quite great. That's another reason why I wanted to record them outside of the TI2.
Thanks anyway !! :)