Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Scherer Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:19 pm
Hi guys,

thinking about upgrading my MPC to JJOS2XL and recognised that when purchasing a key, you also seem to get access to JJOS3.

The JJ comparison chart shows a load of different features… does someone possibly have experiences to share, where JJOS3 is better than OS2XL? How’s the performance? What are the main workflow differences between these two? What else to know?

Thanks!
By alexbuga Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:08 am
There's a comparison chart on the JJOS website http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/chart_n.htm

In OS3, you get lazy chop, and a few nice workflow improvements, but you lose some (important for me) features for sound design like LFO, aftertouch, etc.

Also projects are not cross compatible, so I suggest you save OS3 projects in a separate folders (don't be like me). You can then swap back & forth between OSs. Although I wouldn't recommend doing it on a daily basis not to damage the flash memory.
By inflict3 Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:17 am
Jjos3 is like a breath of fresh air for your mpc.
By djdigi Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:31 pm
Recently pulled the trigger on an old MPC1000 and purchased JJOS XL for it. After spending some time in XL I went ahead and tried OS3. All I can say is wow, if I'm not using any external MIDI stuff or Aftertouch, the Lazy Chop feature and real time stretch make it hard to go back to XL. Most of what I found online is that people prefer XL, not sure if that's old info or still current?

I'm new to this so maybe I'm off here or other workarounds in XL but for how quickly you can chop a long sample and get it onto the pads in OS3 is pretty nice. I found the Auto chop in XL still has to be manually edited so not sure if I'm missing Auto chop in XL. Curious what you guys who've spent more time in both OS3 and XL think.

Also, want to say love & thank JJOS's work but damn that manual is hard to digest, lol

Digi
By loose_t Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 pm
djdigi wrote:Recently pulled the trigger on an old MPC1000 and purchased JJOS XL for it. After spending some time in XL I went ahead and tried OS3. All I can say is wow, if I'm not using any external MIDI stuff or Aftertouch, the Lazy Chop feature and real time stretch make it hard to go back to XL. Most of what I found online is that people prefer XL, not sure if that's old info or still current?

I'm new to this so maybe I'm off here or other workarounds in XL but for how quickly you can chop a long sample and get it onto the pads in OS3 is pretty nice. I found the Auto chop in XL still has to be manually edited so not sure if I'm missing Auto chop in XL. Curious what you guys who've spent more time in both OS3 and XL think.

Also, want to say love & thank JJOS's work but damn that manual is hard to digest, lol

Digi

A couple of things I like on XL that didn't make it to OS3 are the 5 track view option on the main screen, and being able to send MIDI cc from the sliders. Other than that think OS3 has the better work flow.
By loose_t Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:26 pm
djdigi wrote:Are you referring to Grid Edit (MODE+PAD 15) that's in OS3, or maybe you're referring to another option, thanks sorry I'm still in the learning phase.

No, I'm referring to this option on the main screen (SHIFT+VIEW).
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/5track.htm
Sometime it's very convenient to see all your sequence tracks plus level, pan, output assignment, FX levels all on one screen. I'm always using the individual outs so I like having this view option. Just a personal thing, might not be that important to other peoples workflows.
By MGoolas Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:13 pm
In a nutshell.. jjos3 has a better unified program editor with non destructive slices, a real time time stretcher and more features in the audio track mode plus some changes in trim mode. os2xl has pad scenes, better xox editor and much better piano roll editor.