Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By deejay Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:08 pm
MPC One was my first sampler, but sold it cause of the touchscreen and OS.
SP-404 MK2 and TE EP-133 K.O.II are much more immediate (=fun) for my liking, use them for boom-bap.
But I miss some things on both:

SP: immediate pad/track mutes, as the workaround via patterns or resampling doesn't click with me. Pad feeling is rather dull, missing some sort of punch the MPC delivered (FX or envelope settings do not make the difference).

EP-133 K.O.II: decent sample chopping/looping, backup of projects.

Generally, I do not care too much for extensive FX-usage.

In terms of feeling, I am leaning more to the K.O.II's workflow and am wondering now, whether a 1000 with JJOS XL wouldn't be best of both worlds for me. DAW integration is not important, basic recording/arranging stuff is sufficient for me. Looking forward to your replies, thx very much!
By NearTao Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:25 pm
deejay wrote:MPC One was my first sampler, but sold it cause of the touchscreen and OS.
SP-404 MK2 and TE EP-133 K.O.II are much more immediate (=fun) for my liking, use them for boom-bap.
But I miss some things on both:

SP: immediate pad/track mutes, as the workaround via patterns or resampling doesn't click with me. Pad feeling is rather dull, missing some sort of punch the MPC delivered (FX or envelope settings do not make the difference).

You get pad mutes by pressing SHIFT+REVERSE and then the pad you want to mute/unmute... if you press SHIFT+REVERSE+REMAIN then you can keep the pad mute mode "open".

Is it the pad material that feels dull, or just the sensitivity? You can go into your settings and make some tweaks to adjust the pad sensitivity curves and *may* get better results.

Not sure what you're looking for "punch" wise here, but if samples aren't cutting through, or seem too quite, you can normalize them in the START/END menu by pressing ENTER (push the value knob in) and selecting normalize... from there you can use PITCH/SPEED to drop the volume down for the sample to get it to where you want.

Don't have an KO... so cannot speak directly to it...

deejay wrote:In terms of feeling, I am leaning more to the K.O.II's workflow and am wondering now, whether a 1000 with JJOS XL wouldn't be best of both worlds for me. DAW integration is not important, basic recording/arranging stuff is sufficient for me. Looking forward to your replies, thx very much!

A 1k is certainly a beast, but it isn't an effects powerhouse. It'd pair quite well with the SP404 mk2, as the 1k has enough outputs that you can create a quick FX loop with the SP404 mk2. JJOS XL is the OS necessary for the larger screen, which is nice, but not really necessary. A 1k with JJOS 2/3 will be more or less functionally equivalent to the XL version of the software... just with 2x the screen height.
By hyena Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:31 pm
NearTao wrote:JJOS XL is the OS necessary for the larger screen, which is nice, but not really necessary. A 1k with JJOS 2/3 will be more or less functionally equivalent to the XL version of the software... just with 2x the screen height.

i have to correct you here, jjos2xl is a normal jjos for the 1k\2.5k without the large screen, or perhaps i misunderstood you?

anyway i'd suggest too a 1k with jjos2xl paired with the sp mk2, very powerful combo!