Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By stan steez Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:58 am
Okay, since the release of 4.20 seems to take longer, you can drop some whishes for the next release of my manual here...

Before you do check out my future plans first:

1) Table of Contents
2) Chapters
3) One side per feature approach (...if it makes sense)
4) Room for personal Notes (maybe)
5) Index (painindeeazzalert)
6) Expanded Grid Edit Description (new controls etc)
7) Expended Global Control Description
8) More DAW Sync Tutorials: Logic, Ableton, Sonar & Reason

Release Date: Around Christmas...ho ho ho...

Your turn now... PEACE

By Antonym Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:10 am
naked pics of stan steez

edit, just kidding, please don't put naked pictures in the manual.

By earwolf Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:06 am
first off stanley nuff props for doing something everyone wanted but no-one could be assed to organise - your manual helped me no end, many thanks - now lets try make it better!

i'm typing off the dome real quick based on JJOS4.xxMANUAL_rev2.0.pdf - this may seem real picky but i do this kind of shyt for a living so please dont take offence:

1. less variation of fonts - i'd say just stick to arial/helv throughout, maybe one size bigger

2. run a spellcheck ('Highlite', “ROCORD IN” etc) and check for spaces between words (this may be my Foxit PDF reader though - have a look using that when you get a sec!)

3. indent the ordered lists

4. your quotes are a lil messed - see "and to ‚activate‘ the OS:" - they are some kind of back to front upside down comma bizness (again may just be in Foxit)

5. screenshots - i'm all for double size monochrome screendumps if poss

6. the underlined text makes me think i can click it

7. the bullet lists have dashes when they need bullet points - whereas some headers have single bullet points

8. there's some grammatical issues, that may be direct translations from JJ, but could definitely do with tweaking - "The selected data can then be edited further with the various functions binded to the F-Keys!", "It‘s now possible to fully customize the functions‘ lay-out of the drum pads individually."

9. decrease the line height (gap between lines) of the main body text

thats it - please don't take it too harshly as like i say you've done a mans job sir!

pz

By bees80 Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:28 am
maybe some tricks & tips corner at every subject

By stan steez Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:18 pm
Thanks for the very helpful feedback so far!
As far as typography goes I was trying to copy the original style of the mpc manual. I am trying to tweak it a lil bit using only 2-3 fonts max. I found out that the settings for hyphens was wrong in my program's prefs too. :)
Yes, there are Issues with Foxit Reader (a good, resource-friendly alternative to Adobe Reader), but not with spaces between words, but rather with elements like vertical lines in the middle of the pages which don't get shown correctly.
In terms of grammatics and stuff it's obvious that there are some mistakes in it - I am not a native speaker, but I'm trying to straighten it out in the next release. The problem is that I don't have an english auto-correct file since I am working with the german version of InDesign...
Tips & Tricks section - well I thought about that too...

By slicvic1 Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:24 pm
pro tools le sync

By stan steez Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:33 pm
Today a friend of mine who offers me the webspace for the manual sent me some user stats... I think we need more translations here at least one in german, french and spanish... so far I am pretty impressed!

Top 30 of 37 Total Countries:

|Rank| Domain

01. Network (.net)
02. US Commercial (.com)
03. Unresolved/Unknown
04. Netherlands
05. Germany
06. United Kingdom
07. France
08. Japan
09. US Educational
10. Australia
11. Canada
12. Finland
13. Sweden
14. US Military (workin on master plan for Iraq with that? ;)
15. Belgium
16. Switzerland
17. International (int)
18. Singapore
19. Spain
20. Norway
21. New Zealand (Aotearoa)
22. US Government
23. Austria
24. Brazil
25. Denmark
26. Estonia
27. Iceland
28. Non-Profit Organization
29. Argentina
30. Hungary

By stan steez Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:37 pm
slicvic1 wrote:pro tools le sync

Can't do that on my own... ain't go not protools supported hizzardwizzare...
By jazzroom Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:41 pm
stan steez wrote:Okay, since the release of 4.20 seems to take longer, you can drop some whishes for the next release of my manual here...

Before you do check out my future plans first:

1) Table of Contents
2) Chapters
3) One side per feature approach (...if it makes sense)
4) Room for personal Notes (maybe)
5) Index (painindeeazzalert)
6) Expanded Grid Edit Description (new controls etc)
7) Expended Global Control Description
8) More DAW Sync Tutorials: Logic, Ableton, Sonar & Reason

Release Date: Around Christmas...ho ho ho...

Your turn now... PEACE

while waiting for a tutorial Update, desperately trying to sync Ableton 5 to MPC1000 ... anyone?

By naugie Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:19 pm
i wanna see a working patch phrase in this new os. i miss the ability to change tempo on a pp.

By stan steez Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:52 pm
naugie wrote:i wanna see a working patch phrase in this new os. i miss the ability to change tempo on a pp.

wrong thread :) this about the manual, not the features of the OS itself