Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By moorekv Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:32 am
I've just received my MPC1000 last week with an older version of the JJ OS. I don't remember exactly but I believe it was 1.06. In that version, I was able to select a MIDI instead of DRUM and the Program field would allow me to change patches from the main screen by changing the program number. And if I hit the "Window" button while in the program field, I could do bank select (MSB/LSB) as well. Now that I've upgraded the OS to 4.15, I can no longer do program change from the main screen, nor can I do bank select either. After changing "DRUM" to "MIDI", I can no longer set the program field to "No." to get the program change number to appear and have the bank select option. I even went to the MIDI page and made sure the "Sequence by program change" option was set to "YES." That didn't solve the problem either. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is this a bug? This is a vital function as I plan to use my MPC 1k to sequence other gear.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? I hope it's just user error and not a bug because if this is a bug, it's a serious one!!!!

Oh yeah, I have the max number of sample programs (24) loaded into memory too.

By moorekv Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 am
Ohhh!!!! Ok I see what happened. I did some more experiementing and here's what I found out.

This only happens when the program memory is overloaded. I cleared the memory of all of the programs I had loaded and was able to do it. What happened was the memory was overloaded and I was actually loading more than the 24 program limit. When it tried to load that 25th program, its program name appeared on the main screen with a "?" in front of it. When I hit the pads, I get nothing. Ok, so I deleted one of the other programs leaving the attempted 25th program remaining, its name then appeared without the question mark and I could actually play the pads (so it did actually load 25 programs into memory! but I could only use 24), but I still couldn't do MIDI program change. I believe as long as that program is still there (since it was a 25th load attempt which is beyond the limit), I can no longer do program change and bank select. So I tried to delete it. Then, when I attempt to delete it, it won't let me. The only way to delete it is to delete all programs in memory.

I feel that if 24 is the maximum limit, then the OS should stop loading after 24 programs and not allow the program memory to get overloaded. Anyone else ever tried this?

By rinseout Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:26 pm
Just installed 4.20, got the same problem, "No. 1"-program is missing.

Noone else?
It was still there in 3.06, what happened? Do I have to record the program changes now?

....still great work JJ, youre the man
By deranger Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:32 pm
READ THE 4.20 NOTES ON JJ's PAGE.

Since they've added the MIDI in grid edit, they had to remove the
program selection on the main screen.

Se ENTER THE PROGRAM CHANGE MANUALLY AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR TRACK.

By rinseout Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:49 pm
Sry missed that point.

Too bad, was a great feature

By jahrome Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:44 pm
Since when was there a program limit of 24? Its suppose to be 64 right?

rinseout wrote:
....still great work JJ, youre the man

:?

By moorekv Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Originally posted by Jahrome
Since when was there a program limit of 24? Its suppose to be 64 right?

No, In the MPC 1000, you can have up to 64 tracks in a sequence, but only 24 programs can be loaded into memory at one time. It has always been that way. Each program can have 64 samples in it (with 1 layer per pad). If each pad has 4 layers of samples then you can have 4 times that, which give you up to 256 samples per program.

Now that I just found out that program change is in fact "gone" from the main screen with the release of 4.20, I hope JJ re implement this vital function.

I co-sign on the petition to bring it back. It's a must have.

By aflo Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:13 am
I've got a great idea. When you press Shift on the main screen, it gives you the F keys as 1-60 61-64 options. He should pop the program change things in there.

By shanecarriere Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:44 pm
I am learning about program change and control change. How do i get the mpc to change the sequences on my boss dr 5 and my rs 7000 when i change the sequences on the mpc.

By rinseout Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 pm
You have to look for that in the manuals of the dr5 and rs7000, which message make them change the sequence. If its not the program change or bank select maybe some other control change message, which can be easily added/edited in the step edit.

By melton Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 pm
shanecarriere wrote:I am learning about program change and control change. How do i get the mpc to change the sequences on my boss dr 5 and my rs 7000 when i change the sequences on the mpc.

I dunno about the boss dr5, but if the rs7000 is like the rm1x (which I believe it is), you can't easily change patterns remotely. I think you need to send sysex midi commands to do it.
Correct me if you find out differently.