Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By DJPhD Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:23 pm
I am looking to emulate the SP1200 as much as possible, by using bit reduction and a lower sample rate.
The MPC 1000 samples at 44 kHz how can I lower the sample rate to 22kHz?

Peace!
By angel Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:20 pm
DJPhD wrote:I am looking to emulate the SP1200 as much as possible, by using bit reduction and a lower sample rate.

Peace!

22kz, 11kz, 5,5kz on 16bits all play
By thedvs01 Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:05 am
DJPhD wrote:I am looking to emulate the SP1200 as much as possible, by using bit reduction and a lower sample rate.

Peace!

couldn't you double the speed before you sample and then pitch it back down in the MPC?
By tresperros Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:47 am
the almighty SP1200 is 12 bit and 32,5kHz, if I remember...
plus analog filters, you can't emulate that sound with MP,
even mp60 or s950, it's different story
if U want sp cheal, go for sp 12, or sp 12 turbo

bless
By BIG LARRY Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:26 am
Man, I posted this as a JJ feature request along time ago & still want it.
Bit reduction just ain't the same as bringing the sound in the machine at 22k.
However, I don't know the MP1K's specs really well, so it may just not be capable of doing this hardware wise.
They should (or may even do) sell a box that drops the signal to 22k before it hits the MP.
I'm sure 1 could be made out of old parts, but I always flip my old equipment.
I will say that the 96/24 engine in the MPC4K sounds clean as ****.
I just played my 1st 1 at a local studio & the drums I sampled in it where DESTROYING my 1k. :mrgreen:
By ssyniu Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:42 am
thedvs01 wrote:

Peace!

couldn't you double the speed before you sample and then pitch it back down in the MPC?

Is that trick going to reduce the sample rate or the bit depth???
By Lampdog Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 pm
ssyniu wrote:Is that trick going to reduce the sample rate or the bit depth???

No, it just gives it the sound, not the actual lowered data. Try and you'll see what it does.
Don't ask if it's something you can do yourself, do it.
By tapedeck Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 pm
Lampdog wrote:

No, it just gives it the sound, not the actual lowered data. Try and you'll see what it does.

agree with lamp - just try it.
this will affect the sample rate, not the bit depth.
By ssyniu Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:00 am
Lampdog wrote:

I know what it does but I was just curious why this was mentioned in the thread about lower sample rate.
Last edited by ssyniu on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ssyniu Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 am
[/quote]
agree with lamp - just try it.
this will affect the sample rate, not the bit depth.[/quote]

All right so this trick is affecting sample rate I would never thought about it.
Thanks dude.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:57 pm
ssyniu wrote:I know what it does but I was just curious why this was mentioned in the thread about lower sample rate.

When you slow down something it has the "sound" you might be looking for because of the
manipulated speed. This method was used ALOT with SP1200's back in the day. Mostly to save memory
and get more audio recorded in. Added benefit was that it had that "sound" along with the older electronics of the machine itself (coloring) made for GREAT **** warm and crunchy samples. I actually used this method alot when I was super active on my ASR10. I had 16mb memory so it was a must most times.
These days memory is not as big an issue so the method would prolly be used just to get that "sound".

I have this tape deck and whenever I want to sample at lower speeds I use it, works well, I get the lowered sample rate "sound". I have LOTS of old cassettes I sample from sometimes. Some I've had since junior high school.
By tapedeck Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:06 pm
ssyniu wrote:All right so this trick is affecting sample rate I would never thought about it.
Thanks dude.

yes. think about it this way - if you sample one second of audio at 44.1k, that 1 second of audio has 44.1k samples in it. if you then slow that down by half, those same 44.1k samples have to spread out across 2 seconds now.

44100 / 2 = 22050 samples per second .... effectively half the sample rate.

that is a pretty simplified version, and the way each machine 'interpolates' the new samples (filling in the gaps from stretching 44.1k samples from 1 second to 2 seconds) is usually pretty unique, and contributes a lot to the sound of the machine. this is why pitching things sounds different across different samplers (emu's are very noticeable for example).
this also explains why sampling at a lower frequency is not the same as sampling at a higher frequency and then pitching down - because there is no need for interpolation if you sample at low rate to begin with.

nerdalert :mrgreen: