Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Pebs Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 am
So I got my mpc 500 a while ago and since I've had it every time I try to play drums over a sample or more than one sample at once it cuts out? It isn't mute groups because they are all turned off. I don't have jjos. Also I am still learning about it because there is so much to learn lol. Hope someone can help thanks
By Ill-Green Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 am
No JJOS for the 500 so you good. Wished JJ got on the 500 but its for the 1000 and 2500 exclusively.

Could be a polyphony issue. If you sample in stereo then that reduces the MPC to 16 polyphony. For the full 32 polyphony, all samples must be mono. Of course, you can mix and match stereo and mono samples, just keep in mind that stereo takes up two polyphony and mono takes up one. So for every stereo sample, minus two from 32.

What I do, and its just for thought so do what you do, but this how I do. :mrgreen: I use a Y cable and plug the L and R into the output of the preamp and the 1/4" mono jack into the 500's L input and sample in mono all day. From the preamp, I can tweak the balance and sample from either the right channel or the left channel without pulling out cables. I'll have two pads in mono but I can pan one to the left and pan the other to the right and then its stereo at a cheaper memory price. Plus you can layer samples to a pad so instant one pad stereo coming straight out of mono.
By Pebs Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:11 pm
yeah ill try sample again later and see how it goes. waiting on more leads in the mail. thanks. yeah there definitely all off. they should all have no number yeah?
By SimonInAustralia Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 pm
You are pressing each pad in the Program/Mute Group screen, that you are using, A1-A12/B1-12/C1-C12/D1-12, and they are all set to OFF?

And a single sample playing gets cut off by another single sample being played?
By Pebs Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:45 pm
Yeah each pad is off. Yeah each pad cuts each other out. Also it's weird because sometimes when I first turn it on it works fine and then they will start cutting out
By Ill-Green Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 am
Yeah, can't really tell your problem unless you elaborate in specific detail in what you doing and settings you using.

I will say, I had a cutting problem on 1.13 OS, be sure to be on 1.31OS.