Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By emmmg333 Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:11 pm
Hi,

I own a monotribe and it can only do one sequence at a time and no cc info is attached to tuat aolitary sequence. I want to record phrases on the fly and build tracks up frim scratch in a busking capacity. Does the mpc500 do this?
By cajunnate Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:18 pm
No the MPC500 is not good for live sampling. I use a Korg KP3 for building loops live.
*edit: you can build sequences on the fly with the mpc500 but only with already sampled sounds that are in the mpc already
By motosega Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:54 pm
cajunnate wrote:No the MPC500 is not good for live sampling. I use a Korg KP3 for building loops live.
*edit: you can build sequences on the fly with the mpc500 but only with already sampled sounds that are in the mpc already

not just with sampled sounds, also with midi.
basicly you just turn off the metronome and switch between sequences, overdubbing as you see fit.

the mpc500 isn't realy designed to do this though.
By Ill-Green Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:46 pm
You can sample live on the 500. Works best when you built a sequence. Just go into Record Mode and hit PLAY to play a sequence and sample as much you like until you grabbed the right material.

However it does not work like a looper where the samples layer in realtime. To audition what you sampled you would have to exit Record Mode.
By motosega Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:51 pm
not specific to the mpc500 , but since we're taking about live looping on samplers that arent designed for it:

i've been doing a kind of live looping thing with a yamaha su10. you could use any other sampler with rectrig mode that lets you record a sample and then instantly assigns it to a pad in a playable way as soon as recording is finished.(not the mpc500)

i've been playing arround with playing basslines on a turntable with a continuos tone on a scratch reccord, using the pitch control and the crossfader . but obviously you can use any instrument for this.

the su10 has a track on the mpc that triggers a sample on the start of the sequence loop on the mpc.

i set the su10 to record on the aformentioned pad using rectrigger mode.

when i start to play my bassline, the su10 starts recording.

as soon as i stop recording on the su10, the bassline i just played keeps looping in time with the mpc.

i could do this with more tracks/pads on the su10 but when i start recording the su10 stops playing previously recorded samples.

i'm sure its pretty obvious to everybody else, but it only dawned on me a few weeks ago, after many years with samplers and stuff.