Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By MPCLove86 Tue May 20, 2014 9:58 pm
Iv always been an Mpc 2k and up user and currently own a 4000. I just purchased a 500 for shits and gigs so I would have something to carry on me so I can make beats on the go. I haven't had much time to play with it but what's the deal with slicing samples? Is their an auto slice feature on it like the 4k has? (Probably not) but in that case is it just a matter of manually trimming and assigning?. I watched some videos of ppl using a computer program to slice their samples and just load them onto the 500 is this probably the easiest way? Thanks in advance
By mastasteez Tue May 20, 2014 10:29 pm
No auto slice function hombre. When I had my 500 I tried chopping using MPC Maid (probably the software you referred to seeing) and manually using my ears and I much preferred doing it manually. Most other people (inflict and Ill green) will agree.
By MPCLove86 Tue May 20, 2014 11:00 pm
Yea I figured it wouldn't be that easy lol. Thanks for the info I'll check that program out and it was a different one I saw but I'm sure it does the same thing. Any tips or tricks I should know about this littleguy?
By Ill-Green Wed May 21, 2014 5:11 am
Easy chopping method is going into TRIM mode and copy the sample to multiple pads, renaming them and then adjust the start and end points. If you don't rename the copied samples, then all the start and end points will affect the OG sample.

Another chopping method is a new one I discovered, only did it twice during my project, so here goes.

Its called "On-The-Fly Chopping". You take a long sample and loop it into the sequencer, make sure it is properly looping infinite and the sample fits in with the bars and BPM. Go into RECORD mode and set it to Record the Main Out. Hit Play and sample the parts you need chopped and assign to empty pads. As you assign a sample to a pad, the sequencer will still be playing and it will return to the RECORD screen so you can sample more chops without interruption and assign to another pad.
By inflict3 Wed May 21, 2014 6:24 am
u can do it my way, its real fast.. sample is on a pad, get the st point right then copy it to the next pad, get the st point to the next chop point and copy it to the next pad, keep doing this, now after u get ur sample copyed and the st point of each where each chop needs to be look at the st point of the one before and go to the pad after that chop scroll to end point press numeric and enter in the end point with numbers of the st point before, it may sound confusing, but i find it the easiest way..some times u aint even gotta do the end points if u turn ur samples to mono and use mute groups.. give it a go..i love chopping by ear, use my 500 all the time while my jjos collects dust..

here is a thread i started better describing my method
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=163030
By MPCLove86 Wed May 21, 2014 6:36 am
Inflict, you have a 2500 collecting dust?? :vomit: lol. How much you want for it? Thanks for the info guys I'm ganna have to 're read these a few times to understand as of right now it sounds pretty confusing lol anyone have video of this process?
By inflict3 Wed May 21, 2014 6:54 am
i have a 1000jjos i do use it, not much though
By inflict3 Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm
MPCLove86 wrote:Ahh I was ganna buy a 1000 but decided to roll with the 500

you chose well, if i had a choice now to only have one i would keep the 500 and say bye to the 1000…some people would disagree ut thats my choice.. i prefer the 500
By damien907 Sun May 25, 2014 6:37 am
when i had my 500 i used recycle or soundforge for all my chops, then imported them into the mpc after the fact, i couldnt get used to the numbers chopping or lack of grid edit. i much prefer the 1k, i would like to try the 500 again sometime though, but ime the 1k is much better suited to me.
its all in what you like really though.
i still chop on the computer with my 1k, but the grid edit is what i really like.
i was better at finger drumming when using my 500 though, that was cool.
By mattman121775 Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 am
Old thread, but I figure I'd add 2 cents.
Chop in audacity, and export to the mpc500 folder of choice.
This is also a good way to get 24, and 32 bit samples into your mpc, since the export function on audacity can be set to 16 bit.
It's almost seamless aside from plugging in, and unplugging your usb cable. :)