Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By FrancescoS Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 pm
I got this problem when I use my mpc in 12 levels mode and the sample of the pad in "note on" mode.
I must release one pad a little before hitting another.
If I try to "mix" 2 sounds, releasing the first pad later then hitting the second, the release will stop not only the first sample but also the second...
I can't understan why.
I would like to use the mpc as a "keyboard" and playing chord (I'm using sample of 5-6 seconds), so if I use 3/4 pads at a time and alternate these to 3/4 other pads the problem becomes bigger, is there a solution?
By Sapper Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:51 pm
I just got an MPC500 yesterday and I noticed this right away. In 12 Levels mode with a 'note on' pad, releasing a pad while a different one is playing stops the sample. I think this happens with or without a decay assigned. Can't remember if this happens in Poly voice mode though as I'm away from the MPC.

I'm assuming a 'note-off' event is sent to the sampler that affects the root pad (all 12 levels). Doesn't make sense as it's capable of 12 independent note-on/note-value events. I'm still on firmware 1.13 so this may have been fixed in 1.31.

I guess the alternative is to map notes across multiple pads in the program.
By Sharris Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:08 pm
I'm almost positive in 12 levels only 1 pad can be used at a time, you can't overlap the sound..........try putting the sample in poly mode, if it doesn't work, then it's not possible. & if it doesn't work & you want to play chords, copy the sample onto different pads & change the tune of each pad.

I don't think the 1000 or 2500 can play chords in 16 levels either, even with JJOS. These 3 MPC's are the only one's I have experience with, so unsure about the others.

Now I want to check to be sure, I'm gonna check tonight when I get home. If you don't hear back from me it means you can only play 1 pad at a time in 12 or 16 levels on these 3 MPC's. If I'm wrong, I will admit my mistake :cry:
By Ill-Green Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 am
Sharris wrote:I'm almost positive in 12 levels only 1 pad can be used at a time, you can't overlap the sound..........try putting the sample in poly mode, if it doesn't work, then it's not possible. & if it doesn't work & you want to play chords, copy the sample onto different pads & change the tune of each pad.

I don't think the 1000 or 2500 can play chords in 16 levels either, even with JJOS. These 3 MPC's are the only one's I have experience with, so unsure about the others.

Now I want to check to be sure, I'm gonna check tonight when I get home. If you don't hear back from me it means you can only play 1 pad at a time in 12 or 16 levels on these 3 MPC's. If I'm wrong, I will admit my mistake :cry:

Yep you correct. 12 or even 16 levels play one note at a time. Akai expects unexpected clipping from samples with a lot going on in it. Pretty logical especially with basslines.

But no worries, the 500 can do it all if you put your mind to it. Just copy the sample real fast to all the pads, and also the banks if you want for a pseudo 48 key synth. And then pitch up or down each sample by integers of 2. Really not tedious at all, can be done in a minute.
By FrancescoS Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:38 am
Ill-Green wrote:
Sharris wrote:I'm almost positive in 12 levels only 1 pad can be used at a time, you can't overlap the sound..........try putting the sample in poly mode, if it doesn't work, then it's not possible. & if it doesn't work & you want to play chords, copy the sample onto different pads & change the tune of each pad.

Yep you correct. 12 or even 16 levels play one note at a time. Akai expects unexpected clipping from samples with a lot going on in it. Pretty logical especially with basslines.

But no worries, the 500 can do it all if you put your mind to it. Just copy the sample real fast to all the pads, and also the banks if you want for a pseudo 48 key synth. And then pitch up or down each sample by integers of 2. Really not tedious at all, can be done in a minute.

sure, I tried in mono and poly mode... same problems.

I need also the drums and other sample so I hoped to play the keyboards using this wonderfull 12 leveles mode and keep the other pads with other sounds.

I found some intricate solutions:
mode/program/sample assign and assign the same sample at L1,L2,L3, (L4 for seventh chord)
mode/program/sample tune and assign different pitch according to the chord;
Play mode = note on;
give some decay so it's easier leave the first chord and start with the second without silence in between.

then you need few pads to save the principal chord (M, min, M7, -7, and maybe some diminished?), fast thinking and fast fingers and some knowledge of harmony to switch and play the corrects chord.
obviously is not possible in a jam cause you need some seconds to switch chord...
I would prefer a keyboards :lol:
By Sharris Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 pm
Another idea would be to put the chords on 1 pad. Since you can have up to 4 layers on 1 pad, just put the same sample on each layer & change the tune of each layer to make the chord. You can make as many "chord pads" as you want & use those to jam? Just an idea........
When buying limited gear you just have to get used to workarounds for certain things :) this is actually part of the fun for me. I love mastering limited gear
By FrancescoS Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 am
Sharris wrote:Another idea would be to put the chords on 1 pad. Since you can have up to 4 layers on 1 pad, just put the same sample on each layer & change the tune of each layer to make the chord. You can make as many "chord pads" as you want & use those to jam? Just an idea........
When buying limited gear you just have to get used to workarounds for certain things :) this is actually part of the fun for me. I love mastering limited gear

ahahah :lol: probably also I but in this case is very hard

right! it's easier than programming everything, but if you got just one sample like a voice and want to make chords with this sample you have to use 12 mode or different settings.
Thank you
By Sharris Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 pm
Yea...I get it......it can be frustrating!
But now you have 2 ways to play chords........
on a 12 year old cheap sampler that runs on batteries.
Pretty amazing if you ask me!
Blows my mind how many features are packed into this thing for how small & cheap it is.