Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Emilie Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:54 pm
jkomp316 wrote:I want files to be organized alphabetically. Whenever I go to load a program it sorts them by date rather than name. :evil:

1 up on this!
By Flegmat!c Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 am
eimer wrote:
jkomp316 wrote:I want files to be organized alphabetically. Whenever I go to load a program it sorts them by date rather than name. :evil:

1 up on this!

yeah this has been annoying me since day one
By Cold Snap Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:40 pm
bennisixx wrote:got an email from akai today NOT EXPECTING OS UPDATES FOR THE 500
thats a major bug if you ask me!

b

That mean no more updates? it iz whut it iz? Damn that's messed up! wish some super geek code writing lunitik would get there hands on a mp500 and hook up JJ type OS...oh to dream ???
By bennisixx Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:27 am
they wont make the os as good as the 1000 or 2500 so you want to upgrade $$$$$
love my 500 for what it is but if they dont open source the code or something this will be the last purchase I make from akai. HEY AKAI charge for an os upgrade even! I would pay for the right stuff.
aint gona cough up a grand for a 1k though---

Ive been with cakewalk for 6 years always updates for a fee but sh$#!
company spending r&d money on mini controllers ? monitors Akai means MPC in my book

sorry for the rant off topic
B
By Emilie Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:31 am
Well, then there's no need for this topic no more and we all shall buy Beat Thangz ;-). There's still major problems with the mpc-500. It don't even has a mixer which makes it a non music machine, but a drum machine. Therefore it can not be titled as and MPC (Music Productio Center). It has great broblems with high frequencies which tends to distort on full velocity. The input for sampling is rather noisy and so on.

Bye bye Akai, hello Roland.
By bennisixx Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:46 pm
Well, then there's no need for this topic no more and we all shall buy Beat Thangz . There's still major problems with the mpc-500. It don't even has a mixer which makes it a non music machine, but a drum machine. Therefore it can not be titled as and MPC (Music Productio Center). It has great broblems with high frequencies which tends to distort on full velocity. The input for sampling is rather noisy and so on.

Bye bye Akai, hello Roland.

agreed!!!! less the beat thang ??? I think......
how the hell could a company abandon a product so fast?
By Emilie Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:02 pm
The mpc-500 is a cheap box, which means that we are not important to them. Fukk em!
By Jamon Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:17 pm
Beat disappears

1. Turn on MPC500
  2. MODE Record (by default says Mode: Stereo / Monitor: ON)
  3. DO IT
  4. Waiting input.. (make a sound)
  5. DO IT
  6. DO IT
  7. TRACK
  8. MODE PROGRAM
  9. Sample assign A1:L1 the new sample
  10. FULL LEVEL ON
  11. TRACK
  12. REC + PLAY START
  13. Tap pad A1 over and over until it loops
  14. OVER DUB (so it turns off record and just plays)
  15. MODE RECORD (beat is still playing in the background)
  16. DO IT (beat stops? it shouldn't)
  17. CANCEL
  18. TRACK
  19. PLAY START (nothing. where'd the beat go?)
By Jamon Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 pm
It's not actually in overdub mode during record, because when you hit the OVERDUB button while it's in overdub mode it exits that mode and is just playing. That's how you can record a loop, and stop recording without stopping the beat. Then I go into record mode to get more samples that fit over it.

I tried your stop, then play start method, and it worked. But then I tried recording again and exiting overdub mode by pressing that button, and that worked too. So it's something weird causing it, not just the overdub thing. It only seems to do that if you follow my steps almost exactly.

These kinds of bugs are what make me not use my MPC500. Ya, now that I know it's there I can try stopping the beat first every time I go to record, but that makes me have to use caution in workflow, which slows things down. I don't want to constantly be tip-toeing to try and avoid losing work.

This is just one bug. But this is the kind of stuff I hit. Normally I don't know the steps to repeat it though, this time I did. If it's not just my machine that's faulty, Akai should be fixing this stuff. Where's 1.32?
By Jamon Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:44 pm
Initial Loop starting point is not 0 even though it says 0
  1. Make sineloop.wav on your PC, a 1 second sine wave that loops perfectly
  2. Copy to MPC500
  3. MODE LOAD, load sineloop.wav
  4. MODE TRIM, press PLAY LOOP, listen to sine looping, it isn't seamless!
  5. Scroll to "Loop:OFF", set it to, "Loop:ON"
  6. PLAY LOOP, still not seamless
  7. Scroll to "Loop st:0", change it to "Loop st:1", then back to "Loop st:0"
  8. PLAY LOOP, now it's seamless!
By Matt Chef Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 am
I Think I got a bug.

I mentioned my problem in general questions.

My 500 keeps freezing during the naming of a folder. I turn the machine off, then back on and the folder exists with either the full name or what ever was typed in when it crashed. I go to load program and it tells me 'file unknown'

I did a dimm test and it said it was cool. \gonna go for it again and see if it does the same. The machine was fine unitl then. Will jot down my exact movents, and if it does it again, post them to see what you guys think.

I did upgrade to a PC 133 144 PIN CL3 SODIMM 256 MB and 4GB card, so memory shouldn't be a factor
By robthom Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:48 pm
I have suspected that any awesome wishlists functions that we can think of for this little thing would only be actually applied to the bigger models anyway to push you to upgrade, thats why I stopped mentioning them.
But since the 500 is a very different platform due to its battery powered "portability", and especially its lack of separate outs and much fewer simultanious voices (polyphony? is that the word?) I dont see why it would hurt to add as many functions as possible.
If you planned to go into a studio or graduate to profesional production you would have to upgrade anyway.
The 500 is an fantastic little toy that will always be just short of a full on rig no matter how many functions are added or bugs debugged in the OS.
But that is also the appeal that allows it to do a few things that a full rig cannot.
Its intended application is different.

It does NOT compete on the same ground or detract from the studio models.

But it could also be a heck of a lot more if somebody would crack it and give it special attention if Akai wont do it.