Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By BLiTzZD Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:54 pm
[
But it could also be a heck of a lot more if somebody would crack it and give it special attention if Akai wont do it.[/quote]

Thats the whole thing right??? We ALL think it can do more, but we arent given the means to make more happen. For real, all it takes is some dude with knowledge to write the code.

I'm sure if most of the 500 owners sent emails... we'd get what we want.

Oh to dream.
By MPCnd Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 pm
Why not start a petition then?
Maybe Akai will finally listen.
I own mine since 6 weeks and found it VERY buggy.
By MPCnd Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:00 pm
THANKS for the link...

I posted it on my Facebook so a lot of music people will realise whats going on...
By lozzie Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:25 pm
I thought I had a faulty unit. But after it was sent back to Akai and returned to me with the same fault, I have been told by Akai that this is an OS bug which they are working on. In that case can anyone confirm if they do or DO NOT have the same problem

Here is my original post (which can be found at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=103076 )

Hi folks

I have a bug which I have been putting up with since I got my mpc500 new, and I wonder if anybody else has the same.

I have recently upgraded to OS 1.31 but the bug is still there.

If I change the volume level of a stereo sample during playback with the Q-link slider, the remainder of the sample plays out in mono (there also seems to be a slight but sudden increase in volume at the same time).
*This happens as soon as Q-link data is sent from the slider.
*It happens while playing the pad and slider live, using the slider live over a recorded sequence, and during recorded sequence with recorded slider data.
*I never have this problem when using the slider to control the filter or tune, they work perfectly.
*Stereo effects (auto pan is a good one to to use to see what I mean) applied to a mono sample will however work just fine, but if I re-sample that pad and assign the new (stereo) sample to another pad (with no effect applied) the problem comes back (obviously I suppose).

As I said this only happens when Q-link level data is present DURING sample play back. If the sample is played again It will play at the new volume level, in stereo (as long as I dont touch the slider again).

Has anybody else had this problem? :? :?:
By robthom Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:24 am
The "Assign reset" function.
Why does it exist?
Why are my sample locations constantly corrupted?
Why does my folder reload corrupted locations even after using this function and resaving? Even to a completely new folder?

I've been in a constant battle with this "feature" as it tirelessly works to destroy all my labors and as I spend half my energies trying to outsmart it. Let alone figuring out the reason for its existence in the first place.
By bennisixx Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:12 am
the 500 is a great piece......
too bad akai sucks ass..............
you got all the features and inspiration you need on the 500,
but akai wont let you use em in hopes that this is a demo unit ....so you will upgrade to a 1l or better(I would had they supported the 500)
a 600 dollar demo .......ha NEVER AGAIN ............Ill use my 500 till it dies ....then there will be better alternatives (oh wait there already are)\
Any future customers..............the 500 WILL NEVER BE UPGRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! id love to be proven wrong

b
By xtal Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:38 pm
Hi guys!
I noticed that there is a bug in the behaviour of the filters, especially the LP.
LP is the "prest" filter set in the program, when you sample/load a sound rich of high frequencies the sample sounds good in the preview and distort in the program (it's not a velocity problem).
If you set the filter to "--" (bypass/no filter) the sample sounds quite good again..
I ask myself why Akai did an os with such an irritant problem..
Really hate the digital distortion that occurs on the high frequencies..
By goldglob Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 pm
The manual, page 12, paragraph 'Entering Numbers with the Numeric button', says 'Pad 11 can be used to switch between negative and positive values'.
Nothing is happening when I try this.
Is this a bug or am I missing something?
By goldglob Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 pm
OK, I go to Mode/Load:Project, scroll to my folder named BAD, cursor to the right and see my project file named BAD PRJ (and it's the only project file in this folder, I check this by scrolling ), load it, muck about, all good, go to Mode/Save:Entire memory, choose 'Project', press DO IT, see 'Save to' with my original project file on the second line, I check that I'm in my BAD folder by cursoring left, yes, then right cursor back to my original project file, press DO IT, see 'File Name'. NOW, on the second line, sometimes I see my original project name, great, DO IT, replace file/yes, all good, but other times I see 'Project01', not great, have to go through the tedious business of re-naming.
Am I missing something or is this another bug?
By Galik-C Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm
sometimes I see my original project name, great, DO IT, replace file/yes, all good, but other times I see 'Project01', not great, have to go through the tedious business of re-naming.

I definitely have had and continue to have similar problems. If you are saving it for the first time, you're going to have to rename it to "BAD," or whatever you want to call it. From my experience, once you have a folder, each time you save the project, SAVE ENTIRE MEMORY to that FOLDER. Once you turn off the power and come back to it another time, you will have to rename it exactly the same name (takes time, I know). However, if you add sequences/samples/ make any changes once you do it the first time in the same session, you should be able to select SAVE ENTIRE MEMORY, scroll to that file (BAD) - Replace File? --> YES, and at that point you're all set, hopefully.

I can't guarantee that this will work, because I still have problems with saving, I get error message, and if you search long enough through these forums, you'll see other people with similar problems. You can either give up, or put up with the aggravation and try and work around it to get what you want, man. That's what it pretty much comes down to.
By goldglob Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:44 pm
In reply to Galik-C

Ah ha, just tested this and yes, as you say, the renaming is only needed on the 1st save after a power up. Thanks for the clarification, at least now I know when to expect this. I guess the way to deal with this bug (?) is to keep my project names really short.
Re SAVING generally, and the widespread confusion about it, the light-bulb only came on for me when I realized (after several frustrating hours with my new MPC500) that to save into a folder, you have to dial it up, then right cursor into it before hitting DO IT, which is unlike the familiar PC behaviour of just highlighting the destination folder before clicking.
Cheers.
By BLiTzZD Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:47 pm
22tape wrote:****, i was really looking forward to purchasing the 500....now, after reading this thread, it looks to be more frustrating than inspirational!

NAHHHHH DUDE don't let all these bugs get you down. Remember, nobody is going to post when their unit is working 100%.

I've had my unit for about a year, and have only had 2 instances where I actually lost work on it. And that was due to me not saving correctly.

It is a great machine despite all the negativity from the bugs.