Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By lozzie Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 am
Hi folks

I have a bug which I have been putting up with since I got my mpc500 new, and I wonder if anybody else has the same.

I have recently upgraded to OS 1.31 but the bug is still there.

If I change the volume level of a stereo sample during playback with the Q-link slider, the remainder of the sample plays out in mono (there also seems to be a slight but sudden increase in volume at the same time).
*This happens as soon as Q-link data is sent from the slider.
*It happens while playing the pad and slider live, using the slider live over a recorded sequence, and during recorded sequence with recorded slider data.
*I never have this problem when using the slider to control the filter or tune, they work perfectly.
*Stereo effects (auto pan is a good one to to use to see what I mean) applied to a mono sample will however work just fine, but if I re-sample that pad and assign the new (stereo) sample to another pad (with no effect applied) the problem comes back (obviously I suppose).

As I said this only happens when Q-link level data is present DURING sample play back. If the sample is played again It will play at the new volume level, in stereo (as long as I dont touch the slider again).

Has anybody else had this problem? :? :?:
By lozzie Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:03 pm
Does this sound familiar to anybody, or do I have a faulty unit? :(

I would of thought it was a software code problem rather than the slider itself, seeing as filter and tune with the slider give me no problems.

With shorter samples like beats the effect is obviously less noticeable.
Can some of you good folks please please check if they get the same problem with a longer very stereo sounding sample?

thanx :)
By lozzie Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:06 pm
OK I know this is an old post. My MPC has been neglected a little as this problem has remained unresolved.

back in the beginning of the year my MPC 500 has been sent back to the retailer (in Germany) and then to Akia (in Germany).

The unit has been returned to me, but still with the same fault. Akai Germany (Alesis Studiosound Support <[email protected]>) told me that they are aware of the problem are working on a solution

In the last phone call and email I had from them I was told: “I know, that our engineers are currently working on a new OS version. Unfortunately I have information about the release schedule for the OS.“ That was back in march, since then I have not had the time to pursue the issue due to becoming a father.

what I would like to know is: If this is a known OS bug as I have been told, why does it seem like I am the only one on this forum that has come across it?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to confirm that you don't have this problem with your MPC

cheers :)