Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By MPbeatsMV Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35 pm
What do other dedicated step sequencers have that the mpc500's step sequencer lack. Please let me know if you know because I would seriously like to push the MPC500's capabilites into the stratosphere but I just need to know all the limitations. Peace.
By Ill-Green Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am
For one, you can't record track mutes, but thats all I can't think of for now.

The MPC500 is a powerful gadget, don't let these guys fool you that its a toy because its not. Its the cheapest MPC and for that it gets flamed on. Work hard on it and get to know it, and you'll see it can do what any MPC can do...just have to find the work-arounds.

Good luck on your mission, I too, am working on my next project and it'll be all MPC500. Can't wait to hear yours.
By MPbeatsMV Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:11 am
Ok. It can't record track mutes. That would be wild if it could. I'm realizing lately just how important that mute button is in making music with samplers. Wonder why the mpc500 doesn't allow you to mute notes on external equipment as the sequence is playing. ??? You probably have to do it manually and turn down the knob on the controlled eqpmt you got. Gotta be quick and know the tempo like clockwork if you going that route. You know if other mpcs let you record track mutes through midi? That would be a really helpful tool if you could do it.

As for other cats dissing the 500 that's cool. I'm good with mine. I depend on its sequencer big time for my other gear. I'll let you guys know what I can do when I get the time to upload my joints. Make it happen ill-green. Peace.
By ceetheproducer Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 am
In regards to recording track mutes, you can practice untill you got your muting down nice every time then simply record the whole track live into any kind of an external recording device like a DAW or even a decent Hardware recorder or whatever.

I know people complain about having to do it this way but

you need to get that track out of the mpc500 anyway in order to turn it into a high quality mp3 or to burn it to CD or whateva in order for others to enjoy your music.

So yea just get into the habbit of doing live track mutes as the last stage of your beat making process and do it while recording out from the mpc into an external device, n then you get the chance to do a lil tweaking to your track maybe a bit of EQing if needed then convert to a format that lets others here your music.

Or you could line in your mpc500 to a pc and do live track mutes and record videos of that for like youtube, better then just hitting play n letting the world stair at your mp in play mode for 4minutes.

(sorry about my poor spelling i cant spell n its 1am lol)
By BeatsbyA Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:33 pm
sup everyone,

I just copped an MPC 500....this is my first go at hardware and i'm very stoked for that. Since i'm used to programming shit on a timeline editor inside a DAW, etc, I was wondering if the step editors in the MP's allowed you to "program" (not sure if that's the right term for my question) an individual drum hit – but not necessarily through recording where you have the metronome on and you’re recording in real time….

An example of what I’m referring to is -- typically when I’m starting an idea/beat, I like to lay down my snare hits and kicks on all the 1’s (before I do any music/samples) just to get a very very basic foundation started. Then I’ll start chopping samples to fit with this and whatever tempo I’m working with. Afterwards I’ll start live recording other kick/snare hits in to create a “feel” ….

Is it possible to program your snares and kicks like that OR do any hits have to be recorded in where you have to “play it in live” – for a lack of another phase…

Appreciate the help
By RobS Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:13 pm
This was described in few posts already, but you can actually record mutes with a "trick" using MIDI cable.

This method has few downsides, but I personally find it pretty great and use it quite often.