Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By zaknafain Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:34 pm
Hey guys

So I own a mpc500 and want to automate some stuff with midi.
Like for example track mute.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=138398
In this thread a few people claim it to be possible via cc7.
They claim it says so in the Midi Implementation chart.

Now how the Hell do i know which Midi command works on the MPC 500 and which one does not? Because the Manual and the official Midi implementation chart are pretty vague on that. It only states that the sampler section "recognizes" CC and that the sequencer section partially does so too.

But which CC commands actually work? and what do they do?
Has anybody tried this yet? Or is it just a theory?

Any help appretiated! I really cant afford to buy midigear if it doesnt work.
By elektrik_muz Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 am
That thread you linked to is a heap of confusion (which I might have tried to set straight but I was probably off the forum at the time) but the answer to your question is no, you can't do that with a 500.

In midi, the term "slave" is supposed to refer to syncing sequencer clock only, and the 500 can do that. However, there are no midi-automatable parameters in either the sampler or sequencer sections.

The midi implementation chart for the sampler section tells you as much (midi volume cc7 would be a sampler parameter). "X" means no.

I understand why the "O"s on the chart for the sequencer section might be confusing, but you have to remember that an MPC is a database type midi recorder, not linear type that just sends midi straight to recoding media without interpreting it. A database recorder has to be able to recognize a paticular type of midi message in order to record it into the database, edit it, move it around and play it back. That's basically the extent of the implementation.
By Fan Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:48 pm
Re: Controlling MPC with a midi foot pedal?
By Luna Studio Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:05 am
Hello to everyone,this is my first post and reply.
I use my mpc500 in conjunction with the Boss RC300 looper and the start and stop is controlled by this one and it works fine.
By Fan Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:01 am
Hello. I tried to do start a sequence by a fcb1010 midi foot controller but it's impossible. I can only change the program by PC midi message and play any pads by Note On midi message. For now I can do only it.