Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Ill-Green Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 am
Riggs wrote:
Coz wrote:I've not encountered anything more portable and self-contained than the OP-1. It's amazing what can be done with it. 8)

Man, if I had 800 to burn... I'd be right there with you. That machine fascinates me.

If any of you has 800 to burn I'd be right there with you as well. Live in your house even. :P
By jiggity-j Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:25 am
I too have been looking at the OP-1. Gonna wait after Namm to see if there might be a revision. Playing with the Volcas for the being. Sweetwater has a payment plan for the OP-1 fyi. It's like 280 a month for 3 months.
By BeatsbyA Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:02 pm
hey everyone,

Couple of questions regarding hooking up the MPC500 to a mixer.

I just copped this machine, and had a question about monitoring levels within the hardware. Is there a way to see your signal on this machine, or are you really just limited to adjusting the volume levels for each track?

My 2 questions are:

- What is a basic hardware setup for using the MPC 500 and having it linked to a mixer to check the levels of each track? Specifically, on a budget….
- I am familiar with IOS music apps, and wanted to know if anyone has been able to utilize their iPad as a digital audio mixer, and is specifically hooked up to the MPC 500 so it monitors the levels of tracks coming out of the MPC….does anyone know if this is possible in 2016?

I noticed a bunch of replies on this thread discussing the integration of the 500 and iPads/iOS apps……. I’m trying to clarify/confirm ……my goal would be to use the iPad as a digital audio mixer that is hooked up to the MPC to strictly monitor levels before I bounce out the tracks from the MP.
By Ill-Green Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:20 am
1-Only in Record Mode you can see the db meter when sampling. There are no digits to know if you are clipping but from my experience, if the threshold bar is moving at the far left of the screen, then the sound is gonna be low. If the bar extends toward the middle of the screen then you'll be ok. If the bar extends all the way to the far right of the screen and not moving much, you gonna have clipping galore. However, for that real loud, clear and hot sound, the bar should cover 3/4 of the screen and only tapping the far left screen occassionally. Once you master that db meter, you'll always will have a hot sound.

If you desire to monitor a song's levels meaning not just samples themselves but the whole track, then I suggest in Record Mode, to switch it to Main Out for resampling and you can see how far the bar is going.

2-Most basic set-up for the 500 is a DJ mixer (preferably with EQ) and a sound source (turntable, keyboard, CD player, iPad, etc) and speakers (active speakers are great but passive monitors will do if on a budget but you will need an amp).

For iPad, you gonna need a little portable audio interface like iRig or something. Though they don't really intergrate, the iPad will be like a DAW recording the MPC500. You can sample stuff from the iPad via headphones.
By inflict3 Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:24 pm
As a mpc500 user and a ipad mini user, this thread is dope!!! Now i gotta check out this kingston mobilelite thing! :smoker:
By inflict3 Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:09 pm
does anyone know a cable i can hook from my midi on my 500 to my ipad lightning cable?? Something small proven to work..
By distortedtekno Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:42 am
inflict3 wrote:does anyone know a cable i can hook from my midi on my 500 to my ipad lightning cable?? Something small proven to work..

Check on ebay for the M-Audio Uno and buy the Apple Camera Connection Kit to connect the USB.
By inflict3 Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:19 pm
distortedtekno wrote:
inflict3 wrote:does anyone know a cable i can hook from my midi on my 500 to my ipad lightning cable?? Something small proven to work..

Check on ebay for the M-Audio Uno and buy the Apple Camera Connection Kit to connect the USB.

Does the m audio uno work with the iPad?? I have one of those USB midi cables, not m audio and it doesn't work for iPad at all, it works with my computer but doesn't work with my 500, everything else it will work with though.. I was looking at iRig2 but that shit is pricey..
By distortedtekno Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:51 pm
inflict3 wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:

Does the m audio uno work with the iPad?? I have one of those USB midi cables, not m audio and it doesn't work for iPad at all, it works with my computer but doesn't work with my 500, everything else it will work with though.. I was looking at iRig2 but that shit is pricey..

I borrowed one from my brother and it worked flawlessly with my iPad.
I bought a cheap $5 one like you did and it was no good either. So keep your eyes peeled for the m-audio uno and you'll be all set.

PS- If you havent bought the Camera Connection Kit (USB to Lightning adaptor), make sure you buy the Apple brand. The cheap imitations usually don't work or fail quick. Also if you wanna charge your iPad while connected to a USB device, buy the newer model. It's USB 3 but it works on all USB 2 iPads with lightning adaptors.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=f8016bad2e2fdeafad52a7262ed5269d08ecbe2b077bfd48c4655aaf83d4d94ef281f8c0999321c1de49490c862b59e4aeebd66afa490ccbf8b208cceeb19d63396e5f3216d251dfc4ed733f54efcc2b8450ef8245835bb50ae13088d97cff4f
By inflict3 Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 am
Thank you!,