Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Shellz01 Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:38 pm
So I have an mpc500 and I used to be able to save so that I could open it and use it in say FL Studio for example but now I haven't used it for a while so I can't remember.

Any help?

Sorry if this question has been answered already, I'm new to the forum and mpc machines. (and yes I have read the manual and have tried that.)

Thanks!
By Shellz01 Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:45 pm
I've tried saving it both ways the manual says to (for example, saving the sequence as an "Seq-MPC format" and the other option which is something "MIDI") but cannot save the sequence as a file to work with my DAW (FL Studio)
It saves and then when I play it on my laptop it doesn't have the samples I've used in the sequence.

I'd use my own drum kits and sounds then when it plays back on my laptop, it has different sounds on it (which I think are the mpc stock sounds, I'm not sure.)

Basically I'd like to save the sequences so that I can edit them further in FL Studio. There is a way to do it, it's just that I haven't used my mpc for months and can't remember how to do it.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks
By Lampdog Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 pm
Neither of those files are audio. They are data. You probably should read up on the many different files you'll encounter on your musical journey. That research will help you tremendously. Check your manual for recording MAIN OUT and have a cf ready for that.
By Ill-Green Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:37 pm
Lamp is right, you are not saving correctly. The work you save in the 500 should be sequences, programs and samples. Its best to track out MIDI and audio into FL than export data unless you don't mind resampling beats into a few wav files. I'm sure FL is capable of recording MIDI and audio tracks.

So remember, hold MODE and hit pad 3, and save sequence, and programs with samples. Save at every moment and you'll be alright. Exporting is like loading songs from and to your ipod. Search for device and just drag and drop.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:33 am
The MPC sequence plays particular samples inside the MPC, which are assigned to particular pads/MIDI note numbers in the MPC program, and those note numbers are then triggered from events in the MPC sequence.

If you want to transfer the sequence from the MPC to FL, as MIDI, and have it sound the same, then you have to transfer the samples from the MPC to FL as well.

And you would have to setup those samples within a sampler that is within/connected-to FL, with the same sounds, on the same MIDI note numbers, as they are within the MPC.

That would transfer the MPC sequence to FL as a MIDI file, and the MPC samples to FL as individual sample files, so you can still manipulate the sequence itself within FL.

The other option would be to record the MPC outputs into FL as audio, and work with the MPC sequences as audio files/loops within FL, rather than MIDI sequences triggering the individual samples within FL.