Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Mokujin Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:20 pm
Hola Fam,

This year I wanted to constuct and different show centered around only using hardware but keep it simple and only use one or two machines plus a mixer so it wasn't hectic to set up in a DJ booth.

I have a MC 505 and I had it customised with all metal pots and a total service the thing is a monster this will be the backbone of the hardware set up providing the bass and beats and synths songs/ sequences all tweaked and improvised live.

I purchased to MPC 500 to use as my vocal parts... you could say use it like the Rolands various SP desktop samplers. The SP 404 , 505 , 606 and 555 have many more pad banks you are able to use instantly.

So I guess I need to create loads and loads of different project folders for my pad banks.

I have downloaded MPC Maid to aid me with the basic preparation for this task to luse my vocal snippets. Once they are done I will then fine tweak each pad sound adding subtle FX for each pad sound and save in the project foler I suppose as save all settings file.

Is this the right way to create "Virtual Pad Banks" using a MPC 500. Is there a better way to make loads and loads of pad banks for using in a live situation.

Cheers
By rageone Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:01 pm
i know i`m 2.5years too late to answer this but i`ve been looking into live performance with the mpc too :)

your best option is to use multiple programs... a program has 4banks of 12 sonds (48 sounds)...
a sequence has multiple tracks, each track has a program assigned to it.

you can assign a different program to each track, meaning that you can load multiple 4bank programs and switch between them by selecting the tracks. also, you can switch in program mode :)
By jindogomez Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:59 pm
So to not break the circle: 1 year later my response :-D call me necro...

HOW I AM USING THE MPC500 AS A DRUM SEQUENCER IN A LIVE SETUP:

MPC500
Korg Kaoss Pad 3
(optional: Roland SP-404SX)

i prepare the samples on my computer on a DAW (equal volume, same bitrate, wav, easy to use filename, add compression, etc), and ad them via MPCmaid, which is unfortunately a very glitchy piece of sh...oftware.
the samples often need some finetuning on the mpc afterwards (!!!)

i use a 2 GB Card.

i prepare a few basic "fills" drumloops with cymbals and hi hats or klicks matching to the different styles of drumsets i use, these drumfills of course have to match to the bpm as the mpc is not good in timestretching (as for example the roland sp-404x is)...
they are an easy to use add-on to make my beats instantly, because i dont have the time to construct this fill ins (especially well timed 16 / 32 jungle and d'n'b fills) live on stage.
if i have enough place on the table i use the roland sp404x for those fills and reaydymade samples

i place my samples over the banks A B C D, so that i always have the kicks, snares and hi hats on the same numbers of pads (1 2 are kicks 4 5 are snares 7 8 are closed and open HH or similar sounds).

i use the track mode and press record, then i record the kicks on track 1, while on overdub i switch to track 2 record the snare or i switch to track 3 to record the hi hats or fills.

then i can mute track 1 via mute track function and record a new kickdrum from another bank to track 4 and so on.

with this of course i have to manage breaks in between, where i can push stop to delete everything or certain tracks and unmute them.

to make the drum sequences more attractive i use an kaoss pad 3 as midi clock (because it is much better to sync and change bpm)
i connect the mpc500 audio to the audio in on the kp3 for effects and for recording the whole sequences so i can stop the mpc for erasing tracks, unmuting them and recording new patterns, (therefore it is comfortable to have a pair of extra earphones plugged to the mpc for prelistening)

thats it.