Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By lightcitybeach Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 am
I'm playing a gig at the beginning of next month, the first with my MPC 500. I've got a bunch of songs saved as projects in different folders, but I'm worried about the load time between each song.

Ideally I'd like to put all the patterns and programs into one project so I could switch between them easily. What would you say was the best way to do that? Or is it too much stuffing around, especially if all the songs use different programs?
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:46 pm
Switching programs and samples can be tricky in a live set up. There always gonna be gaps in your performance. What I do is cram much as possible into one program. One program can hold 4 banks (A B C D) of samples, thats 64 pads to your exposal. I also sample sequences to a pad to free up more pads, like drum patterns. I did a whole album with just one program as well.

Even if one program is not enough, you'll have enough material to get you through the first two hours. Then you can load up another program while you amp up the crowd. No one will noticed.

Just my way. Not THEE way but whatever that is, I'm listening for suggestions as well. :P

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the 500 can move files around so its gonna take an evening of putting everything in one place.
By motosega Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:14 pm
however you decide to tackle this (ill green said it all) take the time to record a few tracks onto your cellphone, and take two copies of your CF card. crazy things happen whith electronics when you take them out of the studio they grew up in.

50% of tech problems you have when playing live are simple stuff that wouldn't happen if you had time to relax and think clearly. 49% are problems caused by their gear(soundsystem, foh mixer etc, technician etc. 1% are your gear breaking unexpectedly. and the other 3.5% are made up statistics.
By lightcitybeach Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:48 am
Good tips, thanks. I'm not drumming on pads, more muting and unmuting tracks and it's more disco than hip hop. I've put most of my sequences into one program and it seems ok, but I've got a short blank program to let delay tails play out, etc. I've also just learned how to program effects changes so I can set my delays to the right tempo for each sequence. I'll let you know how it all goes.
By The Jackal Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:00 am
If you're mostly doing mutes/unmutes, it's probably is easiest to break your tracks down into 'stems' like other people have suggested i.e. instead of sequencing out the whole drum beat, sample the 8/16/32 bars and play that back with the other samples of your track you've made, bass/rhythm/lead/etc. If you really don't care about button-pushing and have better things to do on stage, you can even just sample your whole songs and break them down into their chorus/verse structure and trigger large chunks. The former will give you more control within your songs and take up more space, the latter will allow you to approach your set more like a DJ and make it easier to cram everything into as few programs as possible.
By inflict3 Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:39 am
i did something like this, u can have a whole set in one memory project.. just have different programs loaded on different sequences.. it takes a lil work, but can be done.. different tracks can have different programs just like different sequences can have different programs on different tracks with different sequences at different tempos.. good luck!!!