Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Bruce Willes Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:36 am
Hey,

i've bought an used MPC 500 some weeks ago which I've upgraded to 128 MB RAM via a Samsung 256MB SDRAM Memory Module. Until i got my MPC i was working with the Native Instruments Maschine MK-II, so i'm quite new to this whole MPC thing, even though i've collected some experience from working with the MPC 1K of a friend of mine. I didn't knew that the MPC could only handle a 2gb CF card and bought a 16 gb cf card which i'm using currently.

So here's my Problem/Question: I've started collecting my samples within a project, setted up some programs, processed some of the samples and then started to make a beat. But when it came to saving it has happened several times that the MPC crashed during the saving process. So what was remaining on the display was the name of the sample and the information that the MPC was saving, but it was frozen completely. Sometimes it works fine and saves without problems, but sometimes it happens as i reported. It's not depending on specific samples, because the once where it crashed had never been the same twice - so it's quite randomly.

I'm not sure where to start to search the problem. One suggestion i have is that the problem is correlated to the cf card i'm using. But my research by now makes me think it could be everything - Maybe some defect from the previous owner, maybe depending on my ram, maybe some AKAI/MPC processing defect or whatever...

This thing keeps frustrating me. I think we (me and the MPC) will have some fun by the time it runs without any errors. But till then it really pisses me of!!! Never had issuses like that with my NI-Maschine!

I'd really appreciate some help.
Peace out!
By motosega Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:38 pm
i'd suggest an even smaller card like 512mb. i have a 2gb card that does exactly the same thing you describe. all the smaller cards i have work fine.
By Bruce Willes Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:35 pm
I've bought a 2gb CF Card which is working fine. The problem doesn't seem to appear anymore.

Thanks for your help guys ;)
I'll be at the beats. See y'all