Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By fuzuku Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:04 am
Ok, so I pop in my new Ram memory, and it gives me this message, which I guess its normal:

SODIMM test 64M
Pass 1 : 100%

It goes all the way to "Pass 4", and it stops on its tracks exactly at 50% - Exactly there. Every time. Then it gives me this message:

Memory Problem
Check the memory

Ok, I get it, not all memories work with all MPCs, but does anyone has a clue why it actually stops everytime at
"Pass 4 - FIFTY percent"?

is that some part of the memory card where is making a contact with the actual MPC where the problem occurs? Or parts of the slots in the MPC? What's that?

This one is a supposedly 256MB card but I found that was a 128MB now it is on its way back to the shop for refund.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:45 pm
https://www.mpcstuff.com/content/MPC_Manuals/MPC500_manual.pdf

500 ONLY recognizes 128mb max RAM. 256mb will NOT be available.
Your ram was working like it was supposed to work. Your 500 is the one with limitations.

PG 107

„ Sound Generator
Sampling rate: 44.1kHz
Memory capacity: 16MB standard (11.5MB for sound memory), expandable to 128MB
Recording time: 136sec. (16MB, MONO)
24m28sec. (128MB, MONO)
Memory expansion slot: 1 x for optional EXM128

Data format: 16-bit linear
Polyphony: up to 32 (dependent on processing)
Dynamic filtering: 2-pole lowpass filter per voice
Preset sound memory: 5MB
Number of programs: 24
By fuzuku Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:31 pm
Wasn't there a long discussion in various threads explaining the mpc500 reads the slots placed in the sides too or some tech stuff so that a 256MB reads perfect?

for example - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=173577

So what does it mean that it stops at "Pass 4" - It's still curious.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm
Try diff stick of ram.
Understand, 128mb is the max ur machine will be able to use.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=160549
"I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my new MPC but 128mb doesnt seem like enough somehow! Can someone enlighten me as to wether or not the MPC 500 will take any larger than 128mb?"

"No, not possible. Seriously though, you only need the RAM to hold current project data in memory while you are working on it, it's not storage, so do you really need more than 128MB? What are you using that would require more than 128MB RAM?"

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=167272
"The second thing is it has to a 256MB stick, even though the MPC will only utilize 128MB. It's just the weird way Akai did it on the 500/1000/2500 RAM upgrade. By design the machines only read half the dual inline RAM chips on the stick."
By fuzuku Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:52 pm
It's my only option. But some MPC techie has to know the singularities of the RAM Memory Test. I mean, the one when you first stick it in.
By fuzuku Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 pm
Lampdog wrote:Try diff stick of ram.
Understand, 128mb is the max ur machine will be able to use.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=160549
"I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my new MPC but 128mb doesnt seem like enough somehow! Can someone enlighten me as to wether or not the MPC 500 will take any larger than 128mb?"

"No, not possible. Seriously though, you only need the RAM to hold current project data in memory while you are working on it, it's not storage, so do you really need more than 128MB? What are you using that would require more than 128MB RAM?"

"The second thing is it has to a 256MB stick, even though the MPC will only utilize 128MB. It's just the weird way Akai did it on the 500/1000/2500 RAM upgrade. By design the machines only read half the dual inline RAM chips on the stick."

Even into the final hardware MPC's from 2002-2008 this design concept remained constant with RAM totals of 512MB, 128MB, and 192MB on the last 5 hardware MPC's that were made.

It's not hard to adapt to this style of working even though I'm guessing it's the dead opposite of what you're used to given your original post and having the long WAV stems from however you were working prior to these MPC's getting acquired.

The first way would be to try and get the single drums and smaller loops that you made your tracks on the CF from, and make MPC Programs of those so you can use it's MIDI sequencing to recreate the tracks. The upside to that is the MPC is very organic and hands on, so it would be easy to add new variations to the tracks or even make whole new stuff out of the source sounds.

The second way, and I don't know if your plan is to use them MPC's completely by themselves in lieu of whatever you used to make the tracks you mentioned...is the fact that you can have the sounds on a computer or possibly in any MIDI enabled keyboards and stuff you may have used to make the tracks and use the MPC as the "MIDI brain" of the operation and have it's MIDI sequences and tracks send MIDI out to the external stuff and record to a computer DAW program or maybe a HD recorder.

But yeah. if you have no prior experience with MPC's the modern ones having much more storage on the CF card than available internal RAM can be confusing, as well as maybe not knowing how MPC's are based in an older MIDI centered way of working like I mentioned earlier.

The Akai branded RAM is a ripoff, and you can easily use old laptop RAM instead for much cheaper.

This is the spec you need - PC 133 144PIN CL3 SODIMM 256MB.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=167272 -- Same Post.
Last edited by fuzuku on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:55 pm
Ok, so keep trying it, and then let us know how much ram you have, each time you try it.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:10 pm
Your only seeing what you wanna see. The size of ram is not the max. The specs in the manual say 128mb. People in the threads say use a 256mb stick and you'll get 128mb which is the max addressed by the machine itself. When that 256 stick is used and 128mb is recognized does the mpc ignore other slots and/or other installed ram? When you check for max ram installed what do you see available and useable? 128mb? If so, maybe the fail comes from the other 128mb that your machine will NOT use, maybe unseated stick of ram. These are things that can't be ignored.
By fuzuku Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:27 pm
Lampdog wrote:Your only seeing what you wanna see. The size of ram is not the max. The specs in the manual say 128mb. People in the threads say use a 256mb stick and you'll get 128mb which is the max addressed by the machine itself. When that 256 stick is used and 128mb is recognized does the mpc ignore other slots and/or other installed ram? When you check for max ram installed what do you see available and useable? 128mb? If so, maybe the fail comes from the other 128mb that your machine will NOT use, maybe unseated stick of ram. These are things that can't be ignored.

Sure. Thanks for trying to help. I'll just stick to the thread. Anyways if it works for me I'll post it here so everyone can take advantage of it.
By Ill-Green Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:58 am
Lamp is THEE MPC tech and told you more than I could've. The 500 is designed and programed to read only 128MB of RAM. There is no short cut around it.

You should reinstall the OS system and then try the card. Insert the chip until you hear a click, then you know it in secure.

Or get a refund and buy the ones from Amazon, they exact for the 500.
By fuzuku Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:02 pm
Thanks ILL. I got another memory, a Samsung and that one gave me other error messages:

Inv. gen. inst.
PC (8848a30c)

And:

CPU Addr (read)
PC (0000007a)

Those two in different occasions. Mostly the first error message.

So I'm returning one stick, the one the guy told me it was 256 but was 128 that didn't worked, and this one I gotta keep it cuz I bought it. But the guys from the store that are like 3 states away are gonna send me 2 more to see if they work on my unit, and I can return those. They are gonna do some research and look thru what they got to see if they can find one that matches the specs.

I Reinstalled the OS twice, I hope that it fixed something, tho it gives me the impression that some things are going slower. Or maybe was only me that was working way fast yesterday. I don't know how the re-installations work and how they affect the MPCs.

Also, I don't want to open another thread for this, does anyone knows any forums or user groups for MPC used as a sequencer for external Sound Modules?

I'm working with a Proteus 2500 and a Super JV-1080 and I'm super happy about it, but I can use some help on some topics corresponding the Sound Modules and some other stuff. If I get lucky I can find a working Tascam 244 to record 2 Master tracks which are the master outputs of my mixer interface, a Lexicon Ionix FW810S FireWire which has a good sound, and do some type of master end product there. And then bounce that back to the computer to have a digital file. I'm only using a computer to sort out projects in the Card Memory and to place them back n forth change the name in there and so on.
By Ill-Green Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:09 am
Remember, when you reinstall the OS, you are resetting the system as well. So the things you did prior that you were accustomed to, has to be adjusted again to your liking. Check things like Program settings, Other settings and Trim settings.

For your question, almost every forum here has info about using the MPC as the sequencer for other sound modules. I have not done it, but I have read those type of threads a thousand times, and with successful endings. I'm sure you are familiar with MIDI. So search those type of terms within this or another forum here.

Maybe Lamp can shine some gold on that :P