Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By djpopcorn Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:36 am
I know how to record individual tracks of my song into my daw in realtime and keeping them in sync with midi while the mpc500 is in slave mode.

But how do I keep the timing, if I use the method of resamping the tracks and exporting from CF card into my computer?

Right now, I'm manually nudging them so they line up, but is there a better way?

Thanks!
By Lampdog Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:25 pm
Mute each mpc track. Record Main Out. Save as WAVE.

Place each wave into a separate DAW track.

What about that.
By beetle Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:36 am
I have read on here where people have added a 1 bar consisting of a count-in with 4 snare hits (or whatever) at the beginning of all their tracks. The idea is that when you are trying to line up your tracks in your DAW, you can just use these 4 snare hits (which are common to the beginning of every track) to ensure everything lines up correctly. you would then edit out these 4 snare hits from the final mix. sorry if i'm not explaining this very well.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:04 pm
Snare hits are for when you don't use midi. ie. lining up audio tracks.

Extra bar at the beginning of each mpc sequence with or without snare hits will give midi time to lock up and sync before the music actually starts.
By beetle Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 pm
Lampdog wrote:Snare hits are for when you don't use midi. ie. lining up audio tracks.

Extra bar at the beginning of each mpc sequence with or without snare hits will give midi time to lock up and sync before the music actually starts.

right you are, sorry I just re-read the original question and saw my mistake.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm
No worries, not at all.

Hopefully this will give the op something to try/test and maybe will work.
By djpopcorn Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:01 am
Yea, I'm choosing to go the route of resampling my tracks in the mpc, method.

And then exporting them to the computer from the CF card.

So...the 4 snare in a extra bar is the way to get my tracks lined up in my daw?

I was hoping to resamle in the mpc, and somehow still get the midi to sync the tracks.
By Lampdog Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:07 pm
Let's get away from that word "resampling" cause it's causing confusion and there are different meanings for it.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/files/mpc-manu ... al_131.pdf
pg 64, Recording the main out.

If it were me I'd....
Record the main out and save it as a sample on cf then take the cf to computer. On the threshold use one or two blocks, recording should start when you press PLAY START because the machine is waiting for sound. Use a bar in front of all sequences, doesn't matter if you have snare hits or not. Recording will start the same on all sequences, why, because the machine is more precise than you doing manual recording. The threshold ensures this precision.

Snare hits in bar in front of a seq would be better suited for mpc playback into an audio interface/soundcard and recorded into a daw with no midi, ALL MANUAL, those are 'audio tracks'.
By djpopcorn Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:08 am
Thanks. Yea I recorded the main outs of each track individually by muting the others, etc. But when I put them into the sequencer it's still a PITA to line them up still.

Mainly cause when I do record the main outs, the MP starts recording only when it hears the first sound that passes thethreshold. It's ok for the kick drum, but it doesnt account for my snare and high hats, and other percussion, that don't start at the beginning of the bar.

So then I got to line it all up in my daw.

Am I making sense? This is why I came to the forum, cause I can't figure out how to keep it in sync, whwn exporting the individual tracks.

But I don't want to record audio out of my mpc into my interface cause it doesnt sound quality isn't as good, as when I "record the main outs" and transfer the CF to my computer.
By djpopcorn Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:10 am
djpopcorn wrote:Thanks. Yea I recorded the main outs of each track individually by muting the others, etc. But when I put them into the sequencer it's still a PITA to line them up still.

Mainly cause when I do record the main outs, the MP starts recording only when it hears the first sound that passes thethreshold. It's ok for the kick drum, but it doesnt account for my snare and high hats, and other percussion, that don't start at the beginning of the bar.

So then I got to line it all up in my daw.

Am I making sense? This is why I came to the forum, cause I can't figure out how to keep it in sync, whwn exporting the individual tracks.

But I don't want to record audio out of my mpc into my interface cause it doesnt sound quality isn't as good, as when I "record the main outs" and transfer the CF to my computer.

Also, what do you mean by "two blocks" are you talking about preventing the sound from distorting when recording the main outs?
Thanks for your help! :worthy:
By Ill-Green Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:43 am
Well, to me, recording the Main Out is resampling. You are sampling what you already sampled. And you don't need the threshold's permission to begin sampling, just hit Do It and it'll sample immediately when need to.

You will want MIDI to keep timing, but if you are resampling, then you are creating an Audio track and thats your problem of why the timing is off and not lining up.

So forget resampling, record your tracks to a single long sequence of 99 bars or more, or multiple sequences. If its multiple sequences, you will need to keep everything within the same track number, for example, Track 1 contains the snare for sequence 1. So for sequences 2,3,4 etc. the snare must be on Track 1. Track 2 may contain the Kicks, so for every sequence, the kicks must be on Track 2. That is just an example, you can have any sound onto the tracks, but use the first sequence as your template for correct playing and lining up.

Also, unless you are creating mono beats, the 500 can only track out 2 tracks at a time, so pan your tracks hard left and hard right to maintain the intended stereo image. Mute the other tracks, and record 2 tracks at a time into your DAW. If you need to record more than 2 tracks at a time, then you need an MPC1000/2500 which has 8 outs.

I hope this can get you off the ground, keep us posted.
By Lampdog Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:56 pm
The threshold will be triggered with the empty bars in front that contain the 4 snare hits.
Those hits allow you to correctly line up the audio in the daw later, lining up each track by the snare hits in the beginning. if ALL tracks had the beginning bars with snare hits AND the threshold ALL tracks would be recorded at the SAME first snare hit. You could drop them into daw and they would line up perfectly with minimal effort. I don't know why you guys are not visualizing that. I'm not saying it's mandatory but it's so such a simple process that takes nudging guess work out of the equation.

2 blocks?