Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By octo Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:49 pm
Hello all!

I've encountered a weird problem with my MPC500 that I just got for cheap :):

It works fine, but when I scroll the datawheel too quick the screen goes blank. I can continue to hear sound, but there's no letters on the screen.

I'm on OS 1.31, and I've tried turning the contrast screw in the back, but nothing seems to fix it.

Any of you other 500 users ever experienced this? And did how did you fix it?
By sachet Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm
I have the same issue peeps. Tho it dosnt just happen when using data wheel, it can happen when pressing any button or sometimes just by itself!

I asked the legendary mpc fixer 'Jazzcat' if he knew about it but he said he'd not heard of it before.

Its obviously an issue tho if you guys have this too... and i saw another post or two on here i think regarding the same issue.

I find, it happens most when i first turn the 500 on. seemingly at random, the screen will just go blank of all characters. backlight stays on. all sounds and pads still work, and so do menus - in fact you could still use the mp 'blind' if you were able lol.

usually after a half hour / hour or so it stops doing it so much. but its really risky to use my 500 now especially when -
a) when building a beat, lost a ton of stuff this way and
b) when playing live - had to reboot the 500 mid-gig before which was nerve racking.

PLEASE if anyone knows how to fix this, post it up! I might try taking the screen out and re-seating it but other than this, I have no idea what to do.
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm
sachet wrote:I have the same issue peeps. Tho it dosnt just happen when using data wheel, it can happen when pressing any button or sometimes just by itself!

I asked the legendary mpc fixer 'Jazzcat' if he knew about it but he said he'd not heard of it before.

Its obviously an issue tho if you guys have this too... and i saw another post or two on here i think regarding the same issue.

I find, it happens most when i first turn the 500 on. seemingly at random, the screen will just go blank of all characters. backlight stays on. all sounds and pads still work, and so do menus - in fact you could still use the mp 'blind' if you were able lol.

usually after a half hour / hour or so it stops doing it so much. but its really risky to use my 500 now especially when -
a) when building a beat, lost a ton of stuff this way and
b) when playing live - had to reboot the 500 mid-gig before which was nerve racking.

PLEASE if anyone knows how to fix this, post it up! I might try taking the screen out and re-seating it but other than this, I have no idea what to do.

All I can say is to try reinstalling OS 1.31 (backup all your beats on a seperate CF card) and try it out. If it persists then its a hardware issue that would need to be serviced. Good thing is that there many 500s for sale and $200 to $250 are steals. Because most likely you'll pay that much for repair if its a specialty issue.