Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By inflict3 Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:00 pm
Not sure if this has been discussed yet or not but does anyone know if there is a way to pull the mpc500 os code straight off the mpc500?? :popcorn:
By Mike Boogie Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:53 pm
NAND Dump?! That's how they do it these days.
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:55 pm
i know it is basically never happening... but if you can get any headway on a new OS.. i say good luck to you... the 500 really could use it.
By vout Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:43 pm
I'm sure there is another thread here somewhere discussing this. Basically, the MPC 500 was not an 'in-house' design, but was developed for Akai under licence by another company. I seem to remember that the software developement system used was quite obscure, so hacking it would probably be quite a challenge.
By inflict3 Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 pm
Lol! The 500 don't need much, maybe a hold shift to change all Params at once and a lazy chop method.
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 am
some bugs need to be ironed out.. that is for sure.
By mr_debauch Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 am
i remember that... i wonder how that guy got caught here on the forums being the same dude
By Ocular Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:50 am
mr_debauch wrote:i remember that... i wonder how that guy got caught here on the forums being the same dude

Was it leaked by jamesjoffrey?
By Ill-Green Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 pm
It was his youtube channel that gave him away, somebody recognized him and followed him here. It was bananas, the uproar!

But he did try to hack the 500 and pleaded to Akai for the source code.
By inflict3 Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:51 am
Ill-Green wrote:It was his youtube channel that gave him away, somebody recognized him and followed him here. It was bananas, the uproar!

Remember how he used his mpc500 without the pads and his saying was. "It feels so good without the rubber" hahhahah.. What a creep!!
By Ocular Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:52 am
Ill-Green wrote:It was his youtube channel that gave him away, somebody recognized him and followed him here. It was bananas, the uproar!

:lol: :lol: Okay okay I remember that now. Yeesh :Sigh:

Okay serious answer, back on topic.

inflict3, first you would need to take a look at the service manual and identify which chip the OS would be stored on. Then, you would have to de-solder that chip from it's respective pcb. Next, you need to find hardware and software that can interface with the chip. There are some commercial options you can choose from to pull the memory from the chip. This task will require an extensive bit of research and is something on the level of what Sciguy would do. With that said, this is the easy part.

Now that you have the OS at your disposal, you will need to de-compile/ dis-assemble it. You will need to find a de-compiler for the assembly language for that particular chip, then you can proceed to reverse engineer it. I'm going to stop right here.

To call this challenging is a huge understatement.

If you're really passionate about this, your time would be better spent going to a university and studying software engineering. After six to eight years, once you earn a graduate degree of some kind, you can make your own damn mpc software. It would probably take you less time to do that than learning how to reverse engineer the assembly code of some obscure chip on your own.
By Lampdog Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 am
Ill-Green wrote:Get Jamon on the horn!

That WHOLE fiasco was crazy.