Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By jackal_Mask Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 am
Hi there,

I'm successfully able to load samples onto pad, I can hear them in these modes:

- preview, when loading to a pad
- trim
- if it's recorded in a sequence

However, if the sequence is not playing, I press the pad and hear nothing? Also when recording the sequence, I don't hear anything from the pads, but when I play it back after recording, the sample plays.

I have tried
- making sure "full" level is on
- making sure it's 16 bit / 44000 hz
- shortening and simplifying sample names

Any help would be appreciated! I'm trying to make sure it's in good condition so I can sell it (in case anyone's interested!)
By Ill-Green Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:21 am
Wow, first time I heard this issue. Its actually an MPC-hiccup. You should be hearing the pads whether the sequencer is playing or not.

First things first, if it has the 128MB RAM installed, check if its installed correctly and locked in its position.

Second, check the card reader slot for any bent pins. Bent pins can cause major glitches.

Third, if everything looks good, then reinstall O.S. 1.31 from Akai's support page at http://www.akaipro.com/mpc500.

If all else fails, its definitely a circuit issue that needs service.
By vout Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:27 am
Sounds like the midi note numbers assigned to the pads have changed? I'm sure that the sequencer just records the midi note numbers, not pad numbers so the sequencer would still trigger the sounds in the program, but the pads might not if this has changed.
By Ill-Green Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am
Ill-Green wrote:Wow, first time I heard this issue. Its actually an MPC-hiccup. You should be hearing the pads whether the sequencer is playing or not.

First things first, if it has the 128MB RAM installed, check if its installed correctly and locked in its position.

Second, check the card reader slot for any bent pins. Bent pins can cause major glitches.

Third, if everything looks good, then reinstall O.S. 1.31 from Akai's support page at http://www.akaipro.com/mpc500.

If all else fails, its definitely a circuit issue that needs service.

:lol: I'm reading my own post and I'm like why the **** would I advise him to get service? The stars were aligned that day :oops:

Its definitely a glitch, unless as mentioned, the first user probably changed the numbers for who knows what. A straight up reintializing will straighten that out too.