Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By CraigFrost Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:50 am
Hi, I've been trying to change programs on my synth for over a month and have tried everything I can think of with no luck.

MIDI out MPC to MIDI in Akai MiniAK synth
MIDI in from MPC to MIDI out Akai MiniAK synth

Synth is set to receive and transmit starting on channel 1
and set to send and receive program changes

MPC set to MIDI receive on all channel with soft thru on
Mode > Program > Program Change off (I've tried this set to a number but I don't think it's meant for what I want it to do)
Created sequence from Song Mode
With Song sequence selected, Mode > Step Edit
Add CC at beginning of sequence set to 32 | 100 (32 is supposed to be sound bank select and 100 is the bank associated with Setups on the MiniAK)
Add PC at the same step or I've tried 1 step after as 145 (the Setup is actually 144 but need to add 1)
Mode > Sequence > Play Song sequence and expecting MiniAK synth to change to proper setup (I change it prior for the test) but nothing happens. Doesn't even change to an incorrect setting which would at least mean something is happening. Just plays the sequence using whatever sounds are associated with the random setup I chose for my test.

[ Maybe I need to be in Song Mode and not Sequence Mode? Just thought of this and will try when I get home ]

Any help would be great. I've posted in a few other forums with no luck. MPC-1000 looks super simple from the YouTube video I found and I already know I won't be able to scroll through sounds on the fly but I'm fine with that. I just need to change the Setup at the beginning of a song.

Thanks
By Ill-Green Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:49 pm
CraigFrost wrote:Hi, I've been trying to change programs on my synth for over a month and have tried everything I can think of with no luck.

Mode > Program > Program Change off (I've tried this set to a number but I don't think it's meant for what I want it to do)
Add CC at beginning of sequence set to 32 | 100 (32 is supposed to be sound bank select and 100 is the bank associated with Setups on the MiniAK)
Add PC at the same step or I've tried 1 step after as 145 (the Setup is actually 144 but need to add 1)
Mode > Sequence > Play Song sequence and expecting MiniAK synth to change to proper setup (I change it prior for the test) but nothing happens. Doesn't even change to an incorrect setting which would at least mean something is happening. Just plays the sequence using whatever sounds are associated with the random setup I chose for my test.

[ Maybe I need to be in Song Mode and not Sequence Mode? Just thought of this and will try when I get home ]

Any help would be great. I've posted in a few other forums with no luck. MPC-1000 looks super simple from the YouTube video I found and I already know I won't be able to scroll through sounds on the fly but I'm fine with that. I just need to change the Setup at the beginning of a song.

Thanks

You don't need two MIDI cables. One device is the master and one is the slave, with both cables connected, they are fighting to be the master.
By fuzuku Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 am
CraigFrost wrote:Hi, I've been trying to change programs on my synth for over a month and have tried everything I can think of with no luck.

Thanks

Hey CraigFrost,

Try to add a +1 to your Midi values, or a -1.

Some Midi work with 0-127, others with 1-128.

Also, do all your setup changes in one Sequence (where all the tracks with Midi Messages for your Synth are) and use other Midi Message empty Sequence to get your notes going out the 500 to the Synth, otherwise it can Mangle some Midi Receivers, sending the same Midi Data over and over at the beginning of the Seq, or/and create unwanted Sound crackles and noises because of the same reason.