Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By master the mp Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 am
I discovered something I didn't know before. For example you have two sequences, the track mute function works for each sequence seperately. I always thought if I mute track 1 on sequence 1 then track 1 will be muted on sequence 2 as well. Maybe this is nothing new for most users.
By Ill-Green Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am
Yup, that's the way it works.

That's why it's recommended to keep the same sounds on the same tracks when using multiple sequences. So if Sequence 1 contains:Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat, then Sequence 2 should also contain Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat.

Not only that, but helps when weaving all sequences into one with Song Mode. ;)
By Living Bate Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 pm
Ill-Green wrote:That's why it's recommended to keep the same sounds on the same tracks when using multiple sequences. So if Sequence 1 contains:Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat, then Sequence 2 should also contain Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat.

anyone that doesn't do that needs to take a long hard look at themselves and try and figure out where their life is going....

i blame the parents....
By Lampdog Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Yup, that's the way it works.

That's why it's recommended to keep the same sounds on the same tracks when using multiple sequences. So if Sequence 1 contains:Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat, then Sequence 2 should also contain Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat.

Not only that, but helps when weaving all sequences into one with Song Mode. ;)

Exactly!

When converting a song to seq mpc will use the track arrangement from the very first track so if all seqs match up in song mode the resulting 1 long seq after convert will be fine.
By Ill-Green Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm
Living Bate wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:That's why it's recommended to keep the same sounds on the same tracks when using multiple sequences. So if Sequence 1 contains:Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat, then Sequence 2 should also contain Track1=Kick, Track2=Snare and Track3=Hihat.

anyone that doesn't do that needs to take a long hard look at themselves and try and figure out where their life is going....

i blame the parents....

I actually blame Roland. Their samplers are what can allow any sound on any track for any sequence at any time you want. Doesn't matter if Sequence 1 has snare on track 4 and Sequence 2 with snare on track 1. One can be spoiled by this. . .like me.
By fuzuku Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:15 pm
master the mp wrote:I discovered something I didn't know before. For example you have two sequences, the track mute function works for each sequence seperately. I always thought if I mute track 1 on sequence 1 then track 1 will be muted on sequence 2 as well. Maybe this is nothing new for most users.

So Master The MP, I think what other users are trying to say, is that for example, if you build a complete Beat using various Tracks in a Sequence (Two Hi Hats, two kick drums, two snares, shakers, multiple samples) you can start building it up using mute parts, or doing combinations for new sounding Sequences. Copy the complete Sequence to an empty Sequence slot and Mute the desired Tracks.

For example mute everything but Kick and Snares, then let the Hi Hats come in, then the Samples, then the 2nd Kick Drum, and so on. Combinations as well. Ex. let everything unmuted but Kick Drums and Shakers, only Samples and Snares unmuted, etc.
By master the mp Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 am
fuzuku wrote:
master the mp wrote:I discovered something I didn't know before. For example you have two sequences, the track mute function works for each sequence seperately. I always thought if I mute track 1 on sequence 1 then track 1 will be muted on sequence 2 as well. Maybe this is nothing new for most users.

So Master The MP, I think what other users are trying to say, is that for example, if you build a complete Beat using various Tracks in a Sequence (Two Hi Hats, two kick drums, two snares, shakers, multiple samples) you can start building it up using mute parts, or doing combinations for new sounding Sequences. Copy the complete Sequence to an empty Sequence slot and Mute the desired Tracks.

For example mute everything but Kick and Snares, then let the Hi Hats come in, then the Samples, then the 2nd Kick Drum, and so on. Combinations as well. Ex. let everything unmuted but Kick Drums and Shakers, only Samples and Snares unmuted, etc.

That is what I was already talking about.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Each seq is seperate, settings in one don't apply to the other.

You can, chain all your seqs in order in song mode, convert that to seq and put in track mutes. One long seq with all your track mutes and done. Just make sure to follow the advice above where EVERY seq has the same track assignments. If you don't follow that advice before doing converts your gonna be in a world of hurt and confusion.
By master the mp Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:47 pm
Lampdog wrote:

Each seq is seperate, settings in one don't apply to the other.

You can, chain all your seqs in order in song mode, convert that to seq and put in track mutes. One long seq with all your track mutes and done. Just make sure to follow the advice above where EVERY seq has the same track assignments. If you don't follow that advice before doing converts your gonna be in a world of hurt and confusion.

I got it as I've read the manual before. It wasn't obvious for me maybe because I haven't used the 500 in a long time. Read about the "bug" I've discovered in slider mode in the bug list. Do you experience the same?
By Lampdog Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 am
I don't have a 500. Track mutes have worked basically the same in all the old hardware mpc's that can convert song to seq though.
By fuzuku Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 pm
[/quote] You can, chain all your seqs in order in song mode, convert that to seq and put in track mutes. One long seq with all your track mutes and done. Just make sure to follow the advice above where EVERY seq has the same track assignments. If you don't follow that advice before doing converts your gonna be in a world of hurt and confusion. [/color][/quote]

I got it as I've read the manual before. It wasn't obvious for me maybe because I haven't used the 500 in a long time. Read about the "bug" I've discovered in slider mode in the bug list. Do you experience the same?[/quote]

Everytime when I use the Slider in Pads to increase or decrease pitch, when I get to the 3rd or 4th Pad, I have to be really careful to do it in order (1,2,3,4) and to jump from one Pad to another without exiting one of the screens, if not all my Slider Q Link Pitch Info erase themselves, (haven't used that technique in weeks so I don't remember it at the top of my head but it's something like that)

is that the Bug you talking bout?
By master the mp Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:52 pm
If you change a value for a pad in slider mode you can reset the value by pressing shift + erase in slider mode, but on my unit this works only for pads in bank a.
By fuzuku Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm
master the mp wrote:If you change a value for a pad in slider mode you can reset the value by pressing shift + erase in slider mode, but on my unit this works only for pads in bank a.

Do you have the manual page that explains that at hand? Wanna check something
By master the mp Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 pm
Just check the slider mode chapter. It's written at the end. The shift + erase combination is not written there. I can't remember where I've read that this combination works in slider mode.