Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By UncleBryn Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the MPC having bought one off ebay a few years ago and left it gathering dust. However, having acquired some more hardware, I have tried to incorporate it into my setup. The problem I have with it comes when I sync the device with my electribe 2.

I have programmed a beat into the mpc, and synced the machines so that when I hit play on the master, the mpc also plays. However, this tends to work very inconsistently. The settings remain unchanged, so I'm happy it's not a setting issue, but often after a few minutes of playing the mpc will stop playing, and stopping the electribe and hitting play again makes no difference. The mpc still functions at this point if you bash the pads, but no amount of restarting and unplugging/plugging makes any difference.

This is the case even with very basic sequences like a loop on a single pad. Sometimes it plays sounds that are mapped to the electribe pad (if there are any), and sometimes not.

I have searched for solutions, and scanned through the bugs, but haven't seen a solution. Without the midi sync, this machine isn't much use to me. Any advice appreciated.
By DjDiskmachine Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 pm
Hey, that sounds really annoying!
But can I ask you - is there any reason why you can't slave the Electribe to the MPC instead?
By Sharris Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:53 pm
Yeah I would try making the MPC 500 the master. That's how I use it & if it doesn't work perfect, but you like the MPC workflow, give it a chance.
You can midi it up, MPC as master, have the electribe output going into the MPC input, sample the 1st electribe track you make (you can play the sequence & record at the same time), then assign the sample/electribe loop to a pad & reintroduce it into the sequence. Sample as much as possible in mono as polyphony runs out quick.
I noticed MPC's (well at least the 2500, 500 & 1000) do better as the master. They like to be in charge. & I love the 500, but in all honesty it's more for simpler beats, it can only handle so much. I mean c'mon, a mini MPC you can take anywhere for under $400?
I use it for lunch break beats & couch beats. The 2500 owns the studio. & even so, a lot of my favorite beats were made on the MPC 500 (but I know it's not for everyone).