Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By SHBZ Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:22 pm
Hello everyone,

I could imagine that this question has been asked here before, if so i'm sorry for that.

i got the 500 a while ago but this problem kept me from using it further. So i'm still a total beginner.

now to the Problem:

If i try to record a sample on a track, it randomly stops playing while, and after recording ( it stll does the recording on the track tho)

i did set up my drums to one mono program and the sample i try to lay over on a seperate poly program as i think(?) i'm supposed to.

i would be glad if someone could help me with this please.
By Sharris Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:51 pm
Do you mean while recording the sample (sampling) or the sample is already on a pad & now you're trying to record it into a sequence?

I think you're talking about recording it in a sequence. If so, the first thing I would check is:

Make sure you do not have it assigned to a mute group. It kind of sounds like this could be the issue. If it's assigned to a mute group & so is one of the drums that are playing, it won't play the same time as the drum sample (or vice versa). When you're on the program page, scroll thru the choices for the specific sample that has the issue, look for mute group, make sure it shows off.

If it wasn't assigned to a mute group:
Make sure it is set to poly (probably isn't the issue, but never know).
Make sure there are no effects applied to it (will explain below).

Mine auto assigns weird sh!t to my samples all the time. & I know assigning effects seems harmless, but every time a create a new program, it automatically assigns reverb to all pads & instead of hearing reverb it makes it so I can only hear the samples in 1 ear (in headphones) or 1 speaker & it's all muffily.

The 500 can have weird behavior sometimes. Once I figured out what weird behavior mine had & how to fix it, I loved it. I still love it. but at first.........I wanted to chuck it at a wall.
By Sharris Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 pm
I forgot to add that I hit the polyphony limit FAST when using stereo samples. If samples are stereo the most I can get going is drums, bassline & chops. That's it. Can't assign effects either.

Your 500 could have issues, but I have a feeling it's just acting up. Either something got assigned by itself or you're hitting polyphony. I could be wrong, but these have been my experiences.

Hope you get it working!