Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Sharris Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 pm
richie wrote:Common strategies are to slam the converters to the point of distortion, older samplers will handle this as a form of compression.

Then there is sampling at a higher pitch and then transposing back down to get another effect, the effect in which the data loss from transposing the signal back down creates its own effect as well.

I like doing that sort of **** in conjunction with using Fab Filter Saturn which is my favorite distortion/coloring VST plugin to use. I can't knock people for wanting to have nothing to do with a computer but use everything you have to create a signature.

I like doing this as well (except instead of Fab Filter Saturn I use an Analog Heat). When I first got into beat making I used to slam the converters hard...way too much....just because I didn't know what I was doing. I still like to sample pretty hot, it just depends on the sampler & the sound. I also tune my samples down, but I don't increase the speed / pitch when sampling. I just like lower, deeper sounds & I like how tuning things down brings out textures. I think I'm going to experiment with sampling at a higher speed, I bet it will add even more "flavor" to the sound.

I recently got a K.O. & I thought I would only use it for quick little jams, but it turned into a nice sound design tool as well due to the 8-bit sampling. Gets things soundin nice & crunchy!