Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Sharris Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:29 pm
Nope I don't get it.

I just realized even if you plug the out's to the in's to resample, you're still sampling from the inputs & once sampled it's digitalized. & plugging the out's to the in's & resampling might not even be possible in the first place.

F^ck this stupid sh!t I don't care anymore :?

My conclusion is the MPC 500 is digital & that's that.

Unless you put the samples on the MPC 500 memory card, plug the analog outs of the 500 into something else that is analog & record it there. This is the only way I see you can use the 500 & have an analog signal path.
By tapedeck Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:43 pm
Sharris wrote:Simple answer: Transfer samples to MPC 500 memory card & resample the sequence by plugging the out's to the in's (if it's possible). This equals analog signal path. This is how you avoid the converters.

yer still not getting it here - once you use the output, you are using the converters, and its now an analog signal.

i think you are talking yourself into a mess. just understand this - once you use the outputs, you've got an analog signal.
everything you do in the machine is digital.
thats all there is to it.

since we're talking about using a cf card, that would be purely digital.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 pm
Converters (change digital audio to analog audio (OUTPUT)
Converters (change analog audio to digital audio (INPUT)

Make it simple.

EVERYTHING outside the MPC is analog.
EVERYTHING inside the MPC is digital.

MPC digital audio out-> converter -> analog outside the box now.
MPC analog audio in-> converter -> digital inside the box now.
By Sharris Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:54 pm
Lampdog wrote:Converters (change digital audio to analog audio (OUTPUT)
Converters (change analog audio to digital audio (INPUT)

Make it simple.

EVERYTHING outside the MPC is analog.
EVERYTHING inside the MPC is digital.

MPC digital audio out-> converter -> analog outside the box now.
MPC analog audio in-> converter -> digital inside the box now.

Thanks Lampdog.......& this is what I thought.... a lot of what I said might make it seem otherwise, but that was just me trying to figure out how it is possible to avoid the MPC 500 converters when resampling. How you would "keep it analog". So the answer I was looking for was either "it is not possible" or "this is how you do it". I started to get somewhere when it was mentioned that you would plug the outputs to the inputs to "keep it analog".......BUT....... anything sampled thru the inputs gets converted to digital (right?). & it might not even be possible to do that anyways w/o a feedback loop (I still haven't tested it yet). So that was my question. How does 1 keep it analog when resampling as it was suggested. I didn't think it was possible, which is why I asked & so far after 2 pages of replies, I still don't see how it is possible. I did misunderstand at first tho, I thought he was talking about keeping it analog in general, not just resampling, but whatever, either way, if it's possible, how it's done would be interesting to know.

I'm ok with leaving it tho.....I just get bored at work & each post was raising more questions in my head. So I dragged it out longer than needed (one of my faults :)
By Lampdog Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:23 am
There is no way to "keep it analog". Who told you that, lol.
Connecting output to input is a horrible idea.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=90075

This is will resample, digitally.
By Sharris Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm
Below is where I got it (it's a post from page 1 of this thread). But I could be mis-understanding what is being said. Which is why I asked. I also understand it's possible the below is incorrect, but it peaked my interest, so I asked.

Sharris wrote:
motosega wrote:although it is digital, theres nothing to stop you doing it analog, the mpc500 can play sequences while it's recording.

If the MPC is digital, how would sampling while the sequencer plays make it analog?
Genuine question........
By tapedeck Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 pm
Sharris wrote:But I could be mis-understanding what is being said. Which is why I asked. I also understand it's possible the below is incorrect, but it peaked my interest, so I asked.
motosega wrote:although it is digital, theres nothing to stop you doing it analog, the mpc500 can play sequences while it's recording.

you said you were gonna test it - test it for us and let us know :mrgreen:
and the suggested method is analog - its just a hack (a creative, although in the end mostly useless hack, but still interesting to note and a very valid answer to the original post).

i think your misunderstanding comes from you saying 'full analog' - there will always be a digital component with a digital sampler.
By Sharris Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 pm
tapedeck wrote:you said you were gonna test it - test it for us and let us know :mrgreen:
and the suggested method is analog - its just a hack (a creative, although in the end mostly useless hack, but still interesting to note and a very valid answer to the original post).
i think your misunderstanding comes from you saying 'full analog' - there will always be a digital component with a digital sampler.

I stated word for word "once sampled into the 500 it becomes digital right? So to keep it fully "analog" with the MPC 500, you couldn't sample correct?"

Since there will always be a digital component with a digital sampler.............. that means you cannot keep it "fully analog". I asked the above question because I wanted to AT LEAST get that out of the way.

I'm guessing he just meant an analog signal path. Is this what he meant?

Even tho Ill Green states it is not possible (at least that is what I think he meant) & Lampdog states it's a horrible idea........ let's say plugging the output's to the input's & resampling works.

What would be the point of this?

& how would it help the OP?

The OP wants to avoid the MPC 500 converters (which is why I brought up putting samples on a card instead of sampling into the 500). How would plugging the out's to the in's avoid the converters?

I know Monesega never said avoid converters, he just stated "keep it analog", so....... if it DOESN'T avoid the converters. What would be the point of the "hack"..... the point of resampling this way?

I'll try to remember to test it out tonight. I wrote it on my hand "analog MPC 500" :wink:
By richie Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:51 pm
I think the purpose of saying "keep it analog" is to have everything you are doing hit the analog to digital stage instead of just going strictly spdif or wav file on your memory cards to the MPC.

The distortion caused from hitting the converters is what people seem to be after here although I'm not sure what is going to be accomplished by doing this on an MPC 500 which is already clean sounding anyway.
By Sharris Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 am
Plugging the outs to the ins doesn't work.... at least not on mine. I'm only getting the left side & it's a little quiet. Resampled the normal way & it was a loud clean signal. Also made sure my outputs still worked (normally use it w/headphones) just to make sure something wasn't wrong with my outputs & sampled from another source as well to check inputs.

I'm wondering if it's possible to do it in mono.......since one side came thru.... I don't kno.... I didn't expect that to happen. I thought it would either work & sound good or not work & there would be no sound. Hhhmm
By Sharris Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am
richie wrote:I think the purpose of saying "keep it analog" is to have everything you are doing hit the analog to digital stage instead of just going strictly spdif or wav file on your memory cards to the MPC.

The distortion caused from hitting the converters is what people seem to be after here although I'm not sure what is going to be accomplished by doing this on an MPC 500 which is already clean sounding anyway.

Yea, I think the 500 sounds pretty clean as well......& that makes sense (using the hardware instead of transferring via card being the analog way)...... analog IS involved in the process, so yea.....I get it..... Op actually wants to avoid the converters tho..... but the only way I see that is dumpin shit on a card & transferring that way......but to resample & avoid the converters, not sure how.

I feel like I'm all smart about this now, I got so many lessons on it :) Thanks guys
By richie Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 am
Common strategies are to slam the converters to the point of distortion, older samplers will handle this as a form of compression.

Then there is sampling at a higher pitch and then transposing back down to get another effect, the effect in which the data loss from transposing the signal back down creates its own effect as well.

I like doing that sort of shit in conjunction with using Fab Filter Saturn which is my favorite distortion/coloring VST plugin to use. I can't knock people for wanting to have nothing to do with a computer but use everything you have to create a signature.
By tapedeck Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm
richie wrote:Common strategies are to slam the converters to the point of distortion, older samplers will handle this as a form of compression.

Then there is sampling at a higher pitch and then transposing back down to get another effect, the effect in which the data loss from transposing the signal back down creates its own effect as well.

I like doing that sort of shit in conjunction with using Fab Filter Saturn which is my favorite distortion/coloring VST plugin to use. I can't knock people for wanting to have nothing to do with a computer but use everything you have to create a signature.

useful post.
how are you even able to contain yerself? no mention of how the type of metal in the cable imparts a more 'metallic' quality to the samples?
By richie Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm
@tapedeck I know it's hard to tell sometimes but I was not being facetious or trolling with that response man.

I really am a big fan of FabFilter Saturn, I tend to use it more than Native Instrument Guitar Rig now and then out to my Mackie where I have a 1/4" tape out going to whatever sampler I'm hitting at that given time.
By tapedeck Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:01 pm
richie wrote:@tapedeck I know it's hard to tell sometimes but I was not being facetious or trolling with that response man.

I really am a big fan of FabFilter Saturn, I tend to use it more than Native Instrument Guitar Rig now and then out to my Mackie where I have a 1/4" tape out going to whatever sampler I'm hitting at that given time.

haha no thats my point - it was a useful post. in this thread. i am proud of you.