Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By DjDiskmachine Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:23 am
Yo!
My jog wheel is really starting to bum me out, one click of a turn does simply no longer map to one action happening in the display. :Sigh:
Also, the buttons, especially the navigation arrows, more often than not require to be pressed more than one time for something to happen. These things really halt my workflow.
Does this affect other users too? I'm considering my options on how to improve this.
By Sharris Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:31 pm
With respects to the navigation arrows it sounds like you need new tact switches. I don't know how you feel about soldering, but a tact switch went out on my MPC 1000, I bought a pack of tact switches for like 50 cents a pop, bought a $15 soldering gun, I have no soldering experience & I replaced it in 30 minutes. So it's easy to replace tact switches, just depends on how you feel about fixing it yourself. Tact switches going out is pretty common with older MPC's.

Sounds like you might need a new jog wheel encoder as well, but not 100%.....not sure if it could be something else........ but that's what it sounds like.

Hopefully someone else can chime in...........
By DjDiskmachine Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am
Yeah I'm trying to figure out what kind of encoder I need, can't really find what type it is in the service manual. The ones I find in my local electronics shop are 24 pulses / rotation, I guess I could just count how many steps it has on the MPC. =)
By Sharris Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:44 pm
Well here is the jog wheel encoder, costs $17.50 from MPC stuff (overpriced) - if you don't want to buy from them the picture might at least help you determine what type it is.

https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-1000-500-j ... l-version/

You can buy the ENTIRE board, encoder, tact swiches & all for $79.00 at MPC stuff as well.

https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-500-top-ri ... -switches/

With respects to tact switches, I know the 1000 & 2500 use the same tact switches.....& when checking out the board I mentioned above, they look to be the same on the 500 as well. I still have the package of tact switches I bought, I'll try to remember to get back to you on the type.

If you don't want to solder, it might be worth buying the $79.00 pcb board listed above.
By richie Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am
Paying $79 for not wanting to solder 3 pins is crazy.
By Sharris Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:13 pm
Yea that would be extreme, but sounds like more than 3 pins need soldering & not everyone is comfortable with repairing their gear. The way he described it he might need a new encoder plus several tact switches.
Personally, if it was just an encoder & a tact switch I would fix it myself, but if the encoder & several tact switches needed to be replaced, I would buy the board. My time is more valuable to me than $79.
By richie Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 pm
I hear what you're saying but It really isn't more than 3 pins. It's the same encoder as the MPC 1000.
By inflict3 Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am
Just get some damn deoxit follow the instructions on the can and you are good to go. Serous yo, this shit works and no soldering... pull ur face plate off and spray the shit right into the jog wheel encoder, also in all the switches and they will be as good as new,.. thank me later..
By Sharris Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 pm
I'm gonna try that, I have about 5 tact switches that are actin up on my 2500.

& Richie, I'm not sayin there are more than 3 pins on the encoder. He's having issues with his jog wheel AND several buttons. If he needs multiple new tact switches PLUS the encoder.....buyin the board is an option....... not the cheapest option tho, that's for sure.

Sounds like it's worth tryin out the deoxit first. That's what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the tip man!
By richie Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm
Deoxit is a must have for shi*t like this. Spray it close and then turn the knob left and right a bunch of times until you see it working normal again. If deoxit doesn't go then you'll have to replace it.