Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Yoshimi Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:52 pm
Mr modnaR wrote:not according to the comparison PDF.

Hmmm...but the MPC500 page says 32 note. I think it is 32 note...since it can accept MPC1000 programs.

By Lampdog Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Sound Generator
Sampling rate: 44.1kHz
Memory capacity: 16MB standard (11.5MB for sound memory), expandable to 128MB
Recording time: 136sec. (16MB, MONO) or 24m28sec. (128MB, MONO)
Memory expansion slot: 1 x for optional EXM128
Data format: 16-bit linear
Polyphony: up to 32 (dependent on processing)
Dynamic filtering: 2-pole lowpass filter per voice
Preset sound memory: 5MB
Number of programs: 24

---

Data Format 16/24 bit 16 bit 16 bit 16 bit
Sampling Rate 96/48/44.1kHz 44.1kHz 44.1kHz 44.1kHz
Program Type(KeyGroup) O X X X
Program Type(Drum) O O O O
Standard Memory Size 272(16MB+256MBDIMM)MB 16MB 16MB 16MB
Max Memory Size 512MB(DIMM) 128MB(Option EXM128) 128MB(Option EXM128) 128MB(Option EXM128)
Polyphony 64 32 32 16
Preset Sound x O(5MB) O O
Filter 2pole x 3 2pole x2 2pole x2 2pole x2

All you can do right now is speculate, wish and hope :? .
By omarphi215 Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:00 pm
With all of these cheaper mpcs coming out do yall think this allows more whack as beatmakers into the market? or do you think it allows those diamond in the rough (broke geniuses) producers to ge they shine on?
By J-Villa Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:19 pm
omarphi215 wrote:With all of these cheaper mpcs coming out do yall think this allows more whack as beatmakers into the market? or do you think it allows those diamond in the rough (broke geniuses) producers to ge they shine on?

it don't matter 'how much you paid' for your gear - that don't determine 'how good' of a beatmaker you are... you could have spent a million dollars on equipment and still be just as 'whack' as dude with a set of pots and pans...

By McSmooth Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:48 pm
^ thats true. You have to keep in mind that kids have been downloading cracked audio software on their parents computer for free for years now. In reality you can do anything on the computer you can do on an MPC.

Until the price goes down even more, this still wont apeal to that many kids with no money as its still expensive for what it does (like all MPCs, unless bought used).

It should make a great companion for the road for those that want portability. I often haul my XL in the car with a power inverter and its a pain in the ass. I haven't read the manual, but I'm wondering how old programs will work on this since it is missing 4 pads. The layout would shift the samples all over the place too and make it hard to drum out like you used to.

By trupro Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:24 pm
cosine wut smooth and J said up there ^

also I changed my mind. now that I saw a picture...sh looks hot!
Yeah, 12 pads, how do they do that? At least, it'll make more sense with a keyboard. 12 half steps in a full octave, etc.

If I had a car, I would mount it on the sunvisor.

By Mr modnaR Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:29 pm
trupro wrote:If I had a car, I would mount it on the sunvisor.

then videotape yourself crashing into walls with no seatbelt on, and seeing what rhythms your head beats out. call it 'Extreme Production' or some such nonsense.....

By trupro Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 pm
Yeah, maybe using it while you are actually driving the vehicle is a bad move. I was thinking more 'stuck in gridlock action'. But hey, all the retarded chicks who put on makeup while they talk on the phone and drive with one knee can't possibly be wrong...could they?

By enotide Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:45 pm
trupro wrote:Yeah, maybe using it while you are actually driving the vehicle is a bad move. I was thinking more 'stuck in gridlock action'. But hey, all the retarded chicks who put on makeup while they talk on the phone and drive with one knee can't possibly be wrong...could they?

You can't forget they're also drinkin' a Starbuck's Half Calf double shot super foam Grande with Splenda.

By trupro Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:08 pm
^^^^LOL^^^^^

Dear Santa: I would like an R1 motorcycle with an MPC500 mounted below the guages. I would also like for Paris Hilton to injur herself with
a Half Calf double shot super foam Grande...with Splenda.

By alpha80 Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:30 pm
:twisted: Double post for all you fearful yotches. :P

alpha80 wrote:I’mma hook it up over the car stereo…

…velcro'd on the center console… :lol:

…behind my limo tint…

w/ a 100GB gigabank…
:D

not j/k @ all……. :shock: :D

The Kennedy Expwy is officially not ready!! :twisted:

By McSmooth Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:32 pm
I hook gear up in the car all the time as passenger. If you have a tape player, you can just get an adapter and run the sound right through the system. I've done it a few times as driver, and it doesn't work so well. You either can't look at what you are doing or you wait for the lights and everyone is honking at you when you don't see it turn green :D

trupro, I ride an R1... I can assure you there's no room for gear :shock: Some of those touring bikes probably could though sadly enough. I can run sound through the helmet though.