Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Upright Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:20 am
Nice gear........needs a lower price though.

By Yoshimi Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:54 am
jahrome wrote:
I understand the 1000... but the 2000 is outdated. I'd rather have the 500 than the 2000...unless it was the 2000 with the CF Card reader.

The age of something has nothing to do with its usefulness....thus my MPC 3000, 3 years older them the first MPC 2000s is still the staple of music production..as far as drum machine/sequencers.
But you know this already....

I fully understand that buddy. For me though...the CF Card and / or HD is what makes the modern MPC still useful. If I have to sit there and deal with legacy devices such as floppies, SCSI and zip drives... the machine better have an old school sampling engine with charector. The MPC2000, while nice, doesn't have any charector. Therefore, I'd rather deal with the machines that give me the modern storage devices and OS.

By The Associate Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:40 am
This machine is awesome. I like the idea of it being small, and battery powered. Wish these came out when I was about 15!

BTW, all those who said this thing should sell for $300 should think again. Everything is made of plastic tihs these days and AKAI is still turning out quality gear made of steel etc. Be careful what you ask for - you will get your $300 plastic POS.

The Associate.

By Blue Haze Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:54 am
Early buyers are cool as they will break the machines in and list up all the bugs and compliants to the company and they already have tons of gear and experience using music gear technology. However, I fortell that this time next yr the 500 will be 70 to 50 percent less in price (with updated o.s. and a couple of new features added) used.

You ask why???

Mark my words the main reason will be because alot of first time buyers without mpc experience will buy it, try it, give up cuz of lack of some fruity/reason/live features, and generally lack of understanding how to use it. They will complain about some bugs or (hide their ignorance blaming the machine) and pick up the next roland, korg, software, or uber gear that comes out in 2007 mind you.

Sure a mpc head will do some wonders with it but the experienced now know that they could wait for the inexperienced users to sell or give away cheaply just like a diamond for a cookie.

Basically it will be like taking candy from a baby within a yr for very cheap after the storm and frenzy has passed. MPC 500 will be a great second hand buy within a yr. First time buyers learn the gear before jumping to something else ha, ha, Early buyers thanks for feedback and keeping the company going. I never want the company to stop producing mpcs. Keep them in business for us. :wink:

Anyway I think for Akai the price is alright, as for experienced users yeah we know more about capabilities compared with other mpcs and pricing and we would compare, moan, and complian about the prices.

But for the first-time mpc buyer that has never used an mpc that will be the price that is exciting and it`s portable. For the experienced heads just a little patience since you already have a mpc, you can get them cheaper from the first-timers. :D

Remember the mpc 500 isn`t aim for us per se as the early adopters according to the marketing plans. :wink:

By modulator Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:13 am
akai should give mpc 1000/ 2500 buyers the 500 for free,
i mean for the road or so ..... :wink: