Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By strength Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:35 am
hey fellas, just curious what everyone thinks about the new 500 piece? i know it'll pobably be overpriced as most akai sh!t is , but what do u think of it as a product?

By J.Daniels Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:39 am
the plague has begun...

By krang Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:40 am
probably the buttons will be more of a pain in the ass to figure out. but if the sequencer is as ill as the other mpcs, its good. It has some cool fx.
If the price drops i might get one.

By guesswhosback Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:09 pm
that is a toy/gimmick

not worth having one

man if you can afford the spare cash to buy one of those to make beats on the road your names probably will.i.am and you get given one for free, try it out and realise the 4000 (or whatever) in your studio on your tour bus will suffice

i thought at least it would be cheaper than the 1k and personally wouldnt pay more than 100 biffs for it

By Yoshimi Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:22 pm
I like it enough. I use the 1000 as well. I find that alot of people who diss the lower MPCs for not having enough features don't use the extra features of the more expensive machines anyway... but if you do...then this machine wouldn't be for you anyway. I can't get mad at anyone dissing the price...but it is still worth more than a couple a hundred dollars. I paid $675...which I felt was still too high...but oh well. It's like buying a video game system on the day it comes out. It is always too high for early adopters.

By episode Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:52 pm
I'm interested as hell.

By renegadebliss Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:51 pm
guesswhosback wrote:t

i thought at least it would be cheaper than the 1k and personally wouldnt pay more than 100 biffs for it

Hook me up. I'd love to buy a new 1k for $675....
they all seem to be going for $999 from what I can see....
By 4000is1monster Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:04 pm
at My local Guitar center the 1k's were going for exactly 699.99 brand new. This is the same Guitar Center were I first saw a mpc 1000 back in late 2003 / early 2004 selling for 999.99 brand new.

I was like damn.... these 1k's must not be selling well cuz the price is way way down. I've seen them on Craigslist for as low as $400 even. Now since the black ones have come out they are back up to 999.99?

WTF?? they go back up in price because its black now?

Im so glad they got rid of that ugly ass blue and red color scheme they were putting all the mpc's in, now simple black is the color of all the new stuff.

By seatown350 Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:13 pm
if it was 400 i would prolly get it , but 300 is the best price for it , i wont take it unless it was 300 haha it kinda reminds me of that boss drum machine.

By Yoshimi Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:36 pm
seatown350 wrote:if it was 400 i would prolly get it , but 300 is the best price for it , i wont take it unless it was 300 haha it kinda reminds me of that boss drum machine.

Well, yeah...I mean I think A mercedes shouldn't cost more than $10,000 tops...I would never pay $50,000. My point is that you don't decide what something costs... you just don't buy it if you think it is too much. If many people agree with you...then they will have to lower the price. If many don't agree with you and buy...then Akai is right.

By guesswhosback Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:21 am
^^ exactly

no one buy this and it will have no value

sorry akai but you should sort your old machines out before shitting new ones

By LaJProd Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:16 am
guesswhosback wrote:^^ exactly

no one buy this and it will have no value

sorry akai but you should sort your old machines out before **** new ones

You are right but they will make more money on new machines rather then fixing problems on the older ones and I am sure this is how they see it!!!!

By J.Daniels Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:57 am
Most OS bugs can be worked around anyway.

What i find funny, is that we all say Akai shouldnt have bothered with this machine, but if you into the "Which 2 MPCs would you own?" thread, most people chose a 4k and this little unit.

basically, we all want one. Its only the price thats making us resistant.

By talontsiawd Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:21 am
I image i'll end up with one. I figure a bunch of broke ass people who can't afford what they want will buy it, then come across some money, and they won't be worth anythng used. It seems to be a decent peice, assuming that your mpc is not your centerpiece/main peice of gear. So for me, it's fine.

Side note-It does suggest a shitty trend. I think the 1000 is fine, i liked mine but it was a cheap mpc. Then you got the 2500 which i haven't used but, seems like a glorified 1k (don't get mad, i've only messed with one at GC). Now the 500. So in the last 3 realeases, we have the lowest end mpc made, a mid range, and then the new lowest end. and 2 pad controllers. Maybe i'll be able to buy the next release at target.