Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By BDRAKE Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:16 am
It's dope
Just overpriced

It is what it is and will be useful to those who need that portable style offered. Of course it is not for those who dont need that so should not worry about it at all but again the price is stupid.

If I were to consider getting one for my son who is 15y.o. (yes he is producing beats in my studio)I would only pay $499 to a possible $599 ..Thats it. :roll:

By Mind Reader Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:13 am
BDRAKE wrote:If I were to consider getting one for my son who is 15y.o. (yes he is producing beats in my studio)I would only pay $499 to a possible $599 ..Thats it. :roll:

You might as well get him a used 1000 or 2000 if your gonna pay that much.

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:08 am
Mind Reader wrote:
BDRAKE wrote:If I were to consider getting one for my son who is 15y.o. (yes he is producing beats in my studio)I would only pay $499 to a possible $599 ..Thats it. :roll:

You might as well get him a used 1000 or 2000 if your gonna pay that much.

I understand the 1000... but the 2000 is outdated. I'd rather have the 500 than the 2000...unless it was the 2000 with the CF Card reader.

By guesswhosback Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:40 pm
Yoshimi wrote:
guesswhosback wrote:sorry akai but you should sort your old machines out before **** new ones

What OS problem do you have?

dont get me started

quote:
Originally posted by guesswhosback:
^^ exactly

no one buy this and it will have no value

sorry akai but you should sort your old machines out before **** new ones

''You are right but they will make more money on new machines rather then fixing problems on the older ones and I am sure this is how they see it!!!''

yes true but hopefully in there greed they will learn an important lesson...

dont **** your existing users off

they wont come back

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:53 pm
guesswhosback wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:
guesswhosback wrote:sorry akai but you should sort your old machines out before **** new ones

What OS problem do you have?

dont get me started

No, please start.

By Henning Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:11 pm
i do have a 1k already, so if i'd be lookin for a portable sampler i might go for an sp-404. it's less than half the price, it has got nice fx and the built in microphone will let you record anything that passes by. of course it has just 12 voices or something, but that should be enough for most of the stuff you do on the road plus if you already have an mpc at home it can give you new ways of sampling (reverse for example!?!?!why no reverse function in the mpcs???)...
still, if u do not own an mpc already it might be a good choice (if portability is that important...)

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:15 pm
Henning wrote:i do have a 1k already, so if i'd be lookin for a portable sampler i might go for an sp-404. it's less than half the price, it has got nice fx and the built in microphone will let you record anything that passes by. of course it has just 12 voices or something, but that should be enough for most of the stuff you do on the road plus if you already have an mpc at home it can give you new ways of sampling (reverse for example!?!?!why no reverse function in the mpcs???)...
still, if u do not own an mpc already it might be a good choice (if portability is that important...)

While I love the SP-404...it is not on par with the MPC-500. The SP-404 has a one track sequencer vs. the MPC-500's 48 track sequencer...which can control your external gear. Also, even if you have a problem with the pads on the lower prices MPCs...they are alot better than the SP-404's pads. The SP-404 does have the more usable effects though. The MPC-500 and 1000 have reverse functions by the way. I do like editing better on the SP-404. I wish Akai implemented that for the 500.

By Henning Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:32 pm
just what i would do, i do not need to control external equipment with a 48 track sequencer when i'm on a train or a bus and remember, the more you pay for it the more you'll have to be careful about it carrying it around...

By Yoshimi Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:38 pm
Henning wrote:just what i would do, i do not need to control external equipment with a 48 track sequencer when i'm on a train or a bus and remember, the more you pay for it the more you'll have to be careful about it carrying it around...

Lol...yeah, good point. I like the SP-404 as well...but I like the MPC better since you can stack 4 different samples on each pad...and I've come accustomed to using that function. However, the SP-404 is half the price.

By AWW_NAWW Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:51 pm
J.Daniels wrote:Most OS bugs can be worked around anyway.

What i find funny, is that we all say Akai shouldnt have bothered with this machine, but if you into the "Which 2 MPCs would you own?" thread, most people chose a 4k and this little unit.

basically, we all want one. Its only the price thats making us resistant.

yep the 4k and the .5k
the .5k makes a great bathroom time killer and Ill be getting one ....as soon as that price falls to about $300

By Henning Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:10 pm
btw, where do i find this reverse function?

By medullabuzz Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:52 pm
As an MPC2500 owner, I think it's an awesome idea - especially for those long plane rides !!!

By jahrome Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:26 am
I understand the 1000... but the 2000 is outdated. I'd rather have the 500 than the 2000...unless it was the 2000 with the CF Card reader.

The age of something has nothing to do with its usefulness....thus my MPC 3000, 3 years older them the first MPC 2000s is still the staple of music production..as far as drum machine/sequencers.
But you know this already....