Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Yoshimi Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Stokes wrote:Cool idea but the screen size is a joke. I can't believe they want 800 bucks for this. Why in the world couldn't they have put a nice screen on this when you can get a ipod nano for $150?

I would have LOVED to have something like this for on the go but I can't imaging working on such a small screen.

s

Ok, the iPod has a screen and a wheel...but it doesn't have anything else the MPC has... plus, Apple sells tons more iPods than Akai sells MPCs...that lowers the price as well. If the iPod had 12 pads, a CF card reader, midi, audio ins and outs, etc...Apple would charge more than Akai. The screen works fine... have you ever used the SP-404's screen? It works fine and is nowhere near as good. Also, I bet the processing power for using a graphical waveform editor would drain batteries even quicker.
By roxstar Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:26 pm
Looks like a nice pice of equipment to me. 16 megs of ram is more than enough.. honestly, I don't think I use more than 3 of the 32 I have installed in my MPC. Anyways I'm amazed to hear complaints about this thing. It has more ram over the SP-1200 and has a bigger screen over the SP-404. Don't look at it as being your replacement MPC.. there's no reason to sell what you have. Now you can finish beats at work... in the car.. on the plane..on the toilet. You can't do that with your MPC-4000 or whatever else you use. The price is kinda high, but give it a year or so.. a used one will be on ebay real soon.