Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By djdeuce2001 Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:49 am
sooo does the usb on here not work as midi? if so i find this pretty useless for the price because it can't even be used as a drum controller with live or any other programs without midi adapters. Also is there really no viewable sound file for the edit screen? I mean i know old school samplers didnt have it but now is a different story. It will be impossible to chop with this thing. Other than those things i really want one of these. Are they actually available now i keep hearing different things. I wouldnt mind selling my 1000 and getting a 2500 and a 500.

By jwhaatt07 Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:53 am
on the specs of it,it says it has midi in/out.....I could be crazy

:shock: :roll:

By mnh2410 Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:09 am
The USB port is SLAVE so its basically used for transfering files to and from your PC or laptop.

It does have MIDI I/O meaning u can connect it to another MIDI source and use it as an controller.

Nicole
By Yoshimi Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:51 am
djdeuce2001 wrote:sooo does the usb on here not work as midi? if so i find this pretty useless for the price because it can't even be used as a drum controller with live or any other programs without midi adapters....

I wouldnt mind selling my 1000 and getting a 2500 and a 500.

I really though Akai would do that this time... but I guess they want you to buy a MPD as well. I truly thought they would make this a hybrid MPD/MPC to really seperate it from the 1000.

If you can sell your $600-700 machine and spend $2700 to get those...by all means, do it.

By djdeuce2001 Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:21 pm
yes it does have midi... but unlike most modern midi equipment u need an adapter just to plug it into your computer unless your using a good soundcard but it does mean its not portable cause u cant just hook it up to a laptop like any other midi controller such as a mpd , trigger finger etc.. i really want one of these things but i feel like until they add that or at least a visual trim screen i couldnt drop 800. 600 max regardless. mpd24 is looking real good right now i guess.

By mnh2410 Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:48 pm
Yeah i see where u comin from. But if u need an drum controller then just get an mpd. If i had the mpc500 i would just use it to lay down ideas and do other lil small things. Then go back home and work it out in software or my mpc(if its capable of reading the files).

Nicole

By Yoshimi Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:50 pm
mnh2410 wrote:Yeah i see where u comin from. But if u need an drum controller then just get an mpd. If i had the mpc500 i would just use it to lay down ideas and do other lil small things. Then go back home and work it out in software or my mpc(if its capable of reading the files).

Nicole

There is no reason you cannot finish songs in a MPC-500.

By cre8tive Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:56 pm
Yoshimi wrote:
mnh2410 wrote:Yeah i see where u comin from. But if u need an drum controller then just get an mpd. If i had the mpc500 i would just use it to lay down ideas and do other lil small things. Then go back home and work it out in software or my mpc(if its capable of reading the files).

Nicole

YO---I'm feeling the beats!

By mnh2410 Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:01 pm
Yoshimi wrote:

I didnt say u couldnt. I just said if I wanted to use it to lay down ideas. Im pretty sure he is aware you could do a full song on the machine.

I was referring to myself and what I would do. I know its possible. But what if i want to track out with more outs? Or other reasons.

Nicole

By v00d00ppl Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:56 pm
Yoshimi wrote:

Nicole

with that display, oh hell no. With the 1000 yes. Explain how the mixdown is supposed to be done without a computer on this thing?

By Yoshimi Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:41 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:
with that display, oh hell no. With the 1000 yes. Explain how the mixdown is supposed to be done without a computer on this thing?

How does madlib create tracks using only a Boss SP-303? How did people in the past make records using only samplers that had one second of sampling time?

By lovesign Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:02 pm
What the hell did we do before we had samplers ?!?! :wink:

Tell Marvin, or James or Stevie that they couldn't finish a track because the damned MPC only had 12 pads or 16MB of RAM !!! LMAO !! :P

By Stokes Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:07 pm
Cool idea but the screen size is a joke. I can't believe they want 800 bucks for this. Why in the world couldn't they have put a nice screen on this when you can get a ipod nano for $150?

I would have LOVED to have something like this for on the go but I can't imaging working on such a small screen.

s