Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By TBonus76 Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:27 am
I think I read some where that if you use batteries, the 6 AA batteries will get you 6 hours of time with the backlight on. Seems kinda short to me. Where's the rechargeable battery pack option? I guess 6 hours isn't too bad, I was just kinda surprised that it was that short. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe 10 hours or so would be nice.

By TerroristProphecy Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:49 am
Good for the odd journey... Sometimes on the way to college I wish I could get my mpc 1000 out on the train and work away....

(saying that I would be very warey of people eyeing it up) lol

By Yoshimi Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:47 am
That's actually very good for AAs. My MicroKorg gets less. The thing is to use the batteries only when you need to...or just buy AAs ever time you see them on sale.

By jahrome Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:38 pm
There are rechargeable batteries on the market.

By solah Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:59 pm
but when are you gonna have a 6 hour session on the road?? 6 hours is more than enough, i would be happy with 3. I use my 202 when i dont have an outlet and i NEVER once used it for more than 30 mins. thats been my expierence.

By Lumpy Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:01 am
they could have put 12 AA's in there so you could get 12 hours, or 18 for 18 hours, or 120 for 120 hours....

6 hours is fine.

Get two sets of rechargables. change them out.

By Yoshimi Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:57 pm
Lumpy wrote:they could have put 12 AA's in there so you could get 12 hours, or 18 for 18 hours, or 120 for 120 hours....

6 hours is fine.

Get two sets of rechargables. change them out.

that would have made it larger and 12 batteries is a ridiculous amount... not since the biggest of old school ghetto blasters have I seen something take 12 batteries. Just bring an extra 6 and swap them...what's the big deal?

By TBonus76 Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:32 pm
jahrome wrote:There are rechargeable batteries on the market.

Yeah, thanks for stating the obvious :? I meant it would have been nice to have a "battery pack" option for the 500 that maybe recharged itself anytime you had the 500 plugged in to AC.

It seems like they had a lot of good ideas with the 500, but they could have taken them a little further. Batteries? We can all agree that is a great feature... battery pack that recharges itself when plugged in? Even better.

Battery technology has come so far in the past 20 years, I just thought AKAI could have better implemented the battery-powered option. I mean c'mon, I had toys in the '80s that could take AAs or a rechargeable battery pack that would charge itself when the unit was connected to AC. Seems like a little more thought could have gone into the battery implementation.

By nik Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 pm
TBonus76 wrote: Battery technology has come so far in the past 20 years, I just thought AKAI could have better implemented the battery-powered option. I mean c'mon, I had toys in the '80s that could take AAs or a rechargeable battery pack that would charge itself when the unit was connected to AC. Seems like a little more thought could have gone into the battery implementation.

Yeh, but remember this is a baby unit. If they had stuck a battery charger into the thing, how much more would it have cost? How much bigger would it have been?

It's dead easy to say 'just add this feature' - they all cost money and time and weight and size.

Also, runnin on redily available batteries is a good thing! They are cheep, easy to find, easy to use, easy to store and carry. Run out while away? Just buy some from the local shop! Wana use it for a whole day every day on battaries? Buy four sets and two chargers and rotate. And it would still cost you less than some propriatry battery pack.

By ucacjbs Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:04 pm
nik wrote:
Also, runnin on redily available batteries is a good thing! They are cheep, easy to find, easy to use, easy to store and carry. Run out while away? Just buy some from the local shop! Wana use it for a whole day every day on battaries? Buy four sets and two chargers and rotate. And it would still
cost you less than some propriatry battery pack.

That's an excellent point. Anyone here had to pay to replace a laptop rechargeable? Or get a new battery for your iPod? Costs quite a bit more than a packet of 6 rechargeable AAs.

By Cap_Ill Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:05 pm
TerroristProphecy wrote: mpc 1000

(saying that I would be very warey of people eyeing it up) lol

i had some little hoodrats eyeing my sh!t up yesterday. and quizzing me all about it. they tried to dip downstairs halfway through a session......

i put a hault on that shit. ain't nobody gonna steal my baby. : )

By _Stilo_ Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:39 pm
nik wrote:
TBonus76 wrote: Battery technology has come so far in the past 20 years, I just thought AKAI could have better implemented the battery-powered option. I mean c'mon, I had toys in the '80s that could take AAs or a rechargeable battery pack that would charge itself when the unit was connected to AC. Seems like a little more thought could have gone into the battery implementation.

Yeh, but remember this is a baby unit. If they had stuck a battery charger into the thing, how much more would it have cost? How much bigger would it have been?

If it can be stuck into my mobile phone...why not into the 500?

By jahrome Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:46 pm
Because its not a mobile phone.....

By Yoshimi Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:53 pm
Rechargable batteries without an option for store bought batteries is an accident waiting to happen. I'm glad they went with the AAs.

By jahrome Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:05 pm
For all yall crying about batteries for an MPC you don't own or intend to buy...here is something for ya...USB rechargable batteries.....

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=3478